1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form. I used to use ATAC's and they are great pedals, but they are pricey. I decided to try eggbeaters and never have had a problem with them. I have used the regular eggbeaters and candy's.
    Are you being serious? It may be bad form, but sometimes you hit a garden that cannot be "ratcheted" through without losing momentum. I find it hard to believe that you "mountain bike" and never have pedal strikes.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you "mountain bike" and never have pedal strikes.
    I agree. Perhaps in the most literal sense a rock strike is 'bad form'. But for those who ride in consistently rocky terrain it is a fact of life. Get a set of pedals that can take a hit AND ride more to improve your form. You can't lose.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form.
    Dude, get off the sidewalk once in a while. If you aint hittin rocks you aint riding nearly hard enough.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Cow Clicker
    Buy something and if it doesn't work for you, understand what and why it doesn't work for you and buy something else that will. If weight is the most important thing to you, eggbeaters. Everything else will, for the most part, do what you need until you learn your preference.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

sock puppet
    i started with Time pedals. they were great. then i tried eggbeaters - just for the sake of trying. never looked back. the latest generation of eggbeaters is significantly better than the generation it replaced... Crank Brothers stand behind their product - and have an upgrade program, that allowed me to save a chunk when upgrading to 11. However - much cheaper 3 is best value for the money...

in 4 years of use, across 3 bikes - i only broke a wing on one of the sets - which was upgraded to 11 anyway...

if i wasn't racing - i'd probably still be on Time as i think they are better than SPD.

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Buy something and if it doesn't work for you, understand what and why it doesn't work for you and buy something else that will. If weight is the most important thing to you, eggbeaters. Everything else will, for the most part, do what you need until you learn your preference.

mtbr member

Never tried Time but like eggbeaters

I started with spds then speedplay, then eggbeaters. I have four pairs on two mtbs, a cross bike and a road bike. I never have to think about what to do with my foot. I wear my warmer mtb shoes on my road bike in cool or nasty weather. Once I brought one road shoe and one mtb shoe (both black, Shimano) to a trailhead and was able to salvage a ride!

Versatile and easy.
    Last edited by gthcarolina; 11-22-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am fine with spd you can also adjust the hardness of the release

with the egg can rank what not to do

Helmetless Crasher
    Pedal strikes w/ rocks/roots can and do happen, especially in the fall/winter when things are covered with leaves. However, I've never had an EB release me due to a pedal strike - nor have I broken a pedal. And I have had EBs/Candys on two bikes for over a year. I weigh 215 geared-up.

Maybe I've just been very lucky . . . but I doubt it.

BTW, Shimano pedals can and do fail . . . XTR Trail pedal failure
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 11-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Look quartz

they've served me well for over 30 months straight in salty CNY, smashing logs, but there are no knockable rocks up in my neck of the woods without seeking them out off of the trail.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco1driver09 View Post

with the egg can rank what not to do
    ^^ am I too stoned to get this, or not stoned enough?

I keep reading it in Yoda's voice too and, "no sense either, that makes''
    Honestly... ahh I give up

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Pedal strikes w/ rocks/roots can and do happen, especially in the fall/winter when things are covered with leaves. However, I've never had an EB release me due to a pedal strike - nor have I broken a pedal. And I have had EBs/Candys on two bikes for over a year. I weigh 215 geared-up.

Maybe I've just been very lucky . . . but I doubt it.

BTW, Shimano pedals can and do fail . . . XTR Trail pedal failure
    Wow, thanks for sharing. Looks like gram shaving at the expense of quality and durability. Sorry to see this. I'm about 200lbs w/gear. I've been punishing a pair of XTs for 4 years on east coast rocks and they are as good as the day I bought them. if I ever do replace them I think I'll go with the Time ATAC. I've had pedals break before. It is an unpleasant experience to say the least. Always hurts, and always ended with a lot of walking.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Sup
    I might pick up a pair of egg beaters for crappy weather but I have had really good luck with my SPD's. I had to tap my shoe a couple of times to get clipped back in at the iceman race I did recently with my SPD's. A better option would be for me to HTFU and just not unclip and walk up the hills. Never bonked so hard in my life .

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

banned
    Nov 2012
    Eggs are lighter, they have more float so there easier on your knees, they cost less, and they do better when conditions suck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I like SPD's because you can clip out when it gets hair and still have a platform

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    TIME!! They will last you forever...
    and they are very cheap right now...
    Time Atac XS Mountain Pedals > Sale | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Time ATAC XS Carbon Mountain Pedals - Normal Shipping Ground

What are you waiting for?

Wyoming mtn. Biker
    Dec 2008
    Guess I'll chime in on this. I have been riding SPD Shimano XTR pedals for five years and have had great luck with them. The only maintenance they have required will be this winter when I take them apart and re-grease them! I've banged them so hard on rocks (I don't always pick the best line) that I thought sure I'd broken a pedal but other then some cosmetic scars they still work like new.

Plus, I can where my shoes with SPD cleats to spin class in the winter as the pedals on the spin bikes are SPD friendly!

I have no experience with Egg Beaters so I can't offer any advice there.

Hope that helps..........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3