1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Eggs Beaters

light and great mud clearance

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Shimano better in the dry and Eggbeaters in the mud.

mtbr member
    I concur with the poster regarding rock-strike ejections. I will not use CB pedals again because of this. XT's are bulletproof. Actually, so are the 40.00 m540's or 544's or whatever they are numbered.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Another vote for shimano. I've had a hard time getting my money's worth out of a set of egg beaters. On the other hand my XTs are 6 years old and on their third bike.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    TiMe

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    TiMe
    RIGHT!?!
    You want indestructible with float?
    TIME

Done

I have no idea why SPD or CB's design is even around any longer
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i am riding spd after buying a new set of beaters.........i love the look and the idea behind the egg beaters, i really do.....but i just cannot get clipped in nearly as quick.........like i wrecked a few times because i couldnt get in soon enough

mtbr member
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG5 View Post
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment.
    Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S
    I haven't but what it appears to be for me is that on my primary bike (recently purchased from Craigslist) the pedals that came with the bike are the ones I have been riding and they were adjusted to the cleats of the previous owner and he had them tightened down pretty good. I'm just trying to tune them right so the pedals themselves aren't too loose or too tight. I haven't spent much time on them so I haven't nailed it yet, but I will look into upgrading my cleats as well while I'm at it! Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's personal preference.

I started with SPDs, had Time which I liked better and now on Crank Brothers and like those the best.

That being said, got the call yesterday that my Saint pedals are in
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.
    ..but it does make sense to switch for the sake of switching to Times!

I've used SPDs and hated the entry. I've used Eggs and had them disassemble themselves at bad times. I've gone back to my 10-year-old Time ATACs and haven't thought about pedals sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form. I used to use ATAC's and they are great pedals, but they are pricey. I decided to try eggbeaters and never have had a problem with them. I have used the regular eggbeaters and candy's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    SPD's for me. I have had high dollar egg beaters come apart on me. I also know people who have ridden them for years with no troubles so maybe it was just my bad luck. I do prefer SPD's though. A set of XT SPD's are the gold standard. But hell, what is branded XT that isn't the cats meow?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form....
    well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control
    Last edited by highdelll; 11-18-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like my bike to be forgiving of occasional bad form.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Just tried some Eggs, buddy had a set he wasn't using..figured why not and plus, they are lighter than my 520s. Just don't feel the egg love..not a positive enough feel for me. SPDs are bullet proof.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

It's personal preference. I have only ever had egg beaters, 4 sides to click in and good mud clearing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control
    As can happen with any pedal. I have had a few hard hits as the rocks are currently well hidden by leaves and had yet to be knocked out of my Mallets.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    As can happen with any pedal. ....
    Don't agree.

I don't se a rock-strike affecting the SPD version one way or the other.
    And with CB's a strike hitting both 'wings' opens the cleat engagement, - with TIMEs, it's the opposite.

Yes, a one 'wing' strike can happen, but, it super unlikely if a non-eggbeater.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 for egg beaters. Been using mine for a very short time but really like them and never want to go back to non-clipped pedals.

I am the Tin Man!
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Helmetless Crasher
    The EB's are so simple in design and function, and so light. Rebuild kits are $15, and take 15 min to install. 5 yr warranty. Great pedals for the money.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't know why these threads keep popping up. Everybody should know by now that TIME are the best .

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.
    I agree with sticking with what works.

I have had my egg beaters for a few years and no problem with them.

Maybe we have been lucky to get a set of pedals and had no failure with them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast