egg beaters vs. spd

Printable View

• 11-12-2012
    cycling5280
    Eggs Beaters
    light and great mud clearance
  • 11-12-2012
    Jaybo
    I like Shimano better in the dry and Eggbeaters in the mud.
  • 11-12-2012
    ghettocop
    I concur with the poster regarding rock-strike ejections. I will not use CB pedals again because of this. XT's are bulletproof. Actually, so are the 40.00 m540's or 544's or whatever they are numbered.
  • 11-12-2012
    RTM
    Another vote for shimano. I've had a hard time getting my money's worth out of a set of egg beaters. On the other hand my XTs are 6 years old and on their third bike.
  • 11-12-2012
    CaTiRo
    TiMe
  • 11-12-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    TiMe

RIGHT!?!
    You want indestructible with float?
    TIME

Done

I have no idea why SPD or CB's design is even around any longer :thumbsup:
  • 11-12-2012
    killarbb
    i am riding spd after buying a new set of beaters.........i love the look and the idea behind the egg beaters, i really do.....but i just cannot get clipped in nearly as quick.........like i wrecked a few times because i couldnt get in soon enough
  • 11-15-2012
    KAG5
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment. :)
  • 11-15-2012
    shibiwan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KAG5 View Post
    SPD's have treated me well. Just make sure you have them adjusted properly or you'll eat it on one side or another because you can't clip out fast enough. I've learned that lesson a few too many times. That's just my preference. In reality, it all comes down to your personal experience and preference with your equipment. :)

Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S
  • 11-15-2012
    KAG5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Did you try using the SH-56's instead of the SH-51? The 56 is easier to release and has saved my butt quite a bit since I switched over.

-S

I haven't but what it appears to be for me is that on my primary bike (recently purchased from Craigslist) the pedals that came with the bike are the ones I have been riding and they were adjusted to the cleats of the previous owner and he had them tightened down pretty good. I'm just trying to tune them right so the pedals themselves aren't too loose or too tight. I haven't spent much time on them so I haven't nailed it yet, but I will look into upgrading my cleats as well while I'm at it! Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    TwoTone
    It's personal preference.

I started with SPDs, had Time which I liked better and now on Crank Brothers and like those the best.

That being said, got the call yesterday that my Saint pedals are in :thumbsup:
  • 11-16-2012
    IoC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    Stick with what you have. I'm a fan of Times, but it doesn't make sense to switch for the sake of switching.

..but it does make sense to switch for the sake of switching to Times!

I've used SPDs and hated the entry. I've used Eggs and had them disassemble themselves at bad times. I've gone back to my 10-year-old Time ATACs and haven't thought about pedals sense.
  • 11-16-2012
    danmtchl
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form. I used to use ATAC's and they are great pedals, but they are pricey. I decided to try eggbeaters and never have had a problem with them. I have used the regular eggbeaters and candy's.
  • 11-16-2012
    mrmas
    SPD's for me. I have had high dollar egg beaters come apart on me. I also know people who have ridden them for years with no troubles so maybe it was just my bad luck. I do prefer SPD's though. A set of XT SPD's are the gold standard. But hell, what is branded XT that isn't the cats meow?
  • 11-16-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Well for those who hit rocks with your pedals, I would call that bad form....

well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control
  • 11-18-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    I like my bike to be forgiving of occasional bad form.
  • 11-18-2012
    TiGeo
    Just tried some Eggs, buddy had a set he wasn't using..figured why not and plus, they are lighter than my 520s. Just don't feel the egg love..not a positive enough feel for me. SPDs are bullet proof.
  • 11-18-2012
    Xcisok
    It's personal preference. I have only ever had egg beaters, 4 sides to click in and good mud clearing.
  • 11-18-2012
    TwoTone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    well, yes, it's 'bad form' - but that happens every once in a while whether it's pedals hitting rocks or other.

IF your pedal does strike a rock - at that moment, your foot ejecting (as w/ CB's sometimes), is not the best thing to happen - as you are needing to regain some control

As can happen with any pedal. I have had a few hard hits as the rocks are currently well hidden by leaves and had yet to be knocked out of my Mallets.
  • 11-18-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    As can happen with any pedal. ....

Don't agree.

I don't se a rock-strike affecting the SPD version one way or the other.
    And with CB's a strike hitting both 'wings' opens the cleat engagement, - with TIMEs, it's the opposite.

Yes, a one 'wing' strike can happen, but, it super unlikely if a non-eggbeater.
  • 11-19-2012
    Bowfish
    +1 for egg beaters. Been using mine for a very short time but really like them and never want to go back to non-clipped pedals.
  • 11-19-2012
    grizzlyplumber
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.
  • 11-19-2012
    Stumpjumpy
    The EB's are so simple in design and function, and so light. Rebuild kits are $15, and take 15 min to install. 5 yr warranty. Great pedals for the money.
  • 11-19-2012
    canker
    I don't know why these threads keep popping up. Everybody should know by now that TIME are the best :).
  • 11-19-2012
    Xcisok
    Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    I have had the same pair of SPD's for 12 years and they are on their 5th bike right now. One bike that I bought used a few years back the guy threw in 4 pairs of egg beaters that all needed bearing replacements.

FOUR PAIRS?

I will stick with what works.

I agree with sticking with what works.

I have had my egg beaters for a few years and no problem with them.

Maybe we have been lucky to get a set of pedals and had no failure with them :thumbsup: