1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Easy way to take tire off rim when it's in need of repair(tire or tube)?

I was thinking about something the other day. I was wondering if there was an easier way to take off your tire so you can repair a tire or tube if need be. All I remember doing it when I was growing up was using a butter knife and some force and the tire would come off. Now it's been 15 plus years since I last changed a tire on a bike. So if there a tool that can make it easier or a technique? I'd rather not have to carry a butter knife on me if I need to change, repair or replace a tire or tube.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Simple: Let all the air out of the tire, and go around squeezing the beads of the tire (the part that interfaces the rim) towards the middle of the rim. Now that you've done this, lean the bottom of the wheel (the side with the valve stem) against your crotch. With your free hands, roll the top of the tire away from you, so the bead facing you pops over the rim. This will take some practice to get it to do, and it is easier with some rim/tire combos, but is generally doable with mountain style rims/tires. Continue in this fashion until you have enough bead off the rim that you can pull one side of the tire free, and then the other side should follow suite fairly easily. Fix your flat, and get one bead into the rim, then push the other onto the rim by hand. You will likely need to meet at a center point to get the last bit on.

more info here.

Rejoice in your ability to not need tire levers. Huzzah.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    they have tire levers that are pretty cheap I carry those when I go riding

Pedro's Tire Levers at REI.com

mtbr member
    The part of the tire next to the valve should be removed last, and installed about 50% of the way around the tire.

For almost all mountain bike tires, you can remove and install them entirely by hand, pretty easily.

duh
    Topeak alien II is an amazing little tool. It has it all for emergency repairs on the trails. It also has tire levers that make removing the tire a breeze.

I would put in a link but it won't let me until I hit 10 posts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill83 View Post
    I was thinking about something the other day. I was wondering if there was an easier way to take off your tire so you can repair a tire or tube if need be. All I remember doing it when I was growing up was using a butter knife and some force and the tire would come off. Now it's been 15 plus years since I last changed a tire on a bike. So if there a tool that can make it easier or a technique? I'd rather not have to carry a butter knife on me if I need to change, repair or replace a tire or tube.

Thanks!
    The trick is to have the tire beads located at the center of the rim opposite the valve stem.....

Then you pull the bead up and over the rim at the valve stem....

No need for any leverage you hands should do just fine....

The trick is the beads in the middle of the rim.....

So you start opposite the valve stem....and squeeze the beads in to the middle and if you keep the tire tight they will stay there until you get to the valve stem...

Then you will have lots of room to pull the tire over the rim.

local trails rider
    Some tires can be tight. At least in my case, the steel bead tires that I have on my commuter bike are way more work than the foldable tires on the trail bike.

I just fixed a flat an the trail bike and the tire came off by just pushing the tire over the rim edge. I leave the other side of the tire on the rim while working on the tube.
    Last time I was working on the steel bead tires, I broke another cheap plastic tire lever...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ask for a "quick stick" at your LBS. It'll be the best 4 bucks you've spent. Only need one. Very fast, no tube damage.

mtbr member
    Crank Brothers Speed lever works really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good info, thanks.

I like bikes.
    I have a stack of 3 tire levers I keep in my underseat pouch or in my backpack hydration bag if I'm going out all day.
    Picked them up at ***** for $6 I believe. I've already used them on a friends bike along with my slime tire scabs I keep as well.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A tire lever makes it easy to peel a tire off the rim, although the fingers-only method does work; I just prefer the tire lever. ONE is all it takes for 95% of tires out there.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....