1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862

    Dumbing down/sanitizing trails.

    I just got back from one of my local rides. I found that one of the more challenging sections of trail had a very large boulder removed to make the section passible to those who lack the skills to ride the section or perhaps a Strava user was looking to trim some time from his ride. Either way I feel it is important to let newbies know that this kind of trail maintenance is just not acceptable. In this particular case that boulder was supporting several larger and smaller rocks which will now eventually collapse onto the trail. There is a difference between removing a hazard such as a fallen tree and removing a trail feature. Those of us who have taken the time to develop skills enjoy being challenged. Please take the time to develop your skills and don't make unauthorized changes to the trails. If you are unable to ride a certain section there is no shame in walking it.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  2. #2
    'Tis but a scratch
    Reputation: huffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,864
    The trail builders at Wilton Woods in CT feel the same way. This pic isn't the greatest, but read the "fine print".

    It was definitely a "rugged" section.

    Dumbing down/sanitizing trails.-raptor-rock-garden.jpg

  3. #3
    ready to ride
    Reputation: mattnmtns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    627
    I don't understand. Wouldn't trail improvement mean adding new technical features, obstacles, jumps and drops. Because I would be all in favor of that.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

  4. #4
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,709
    One of my local trails has cheater lines for all obstacles. There was a rather large argument this year over whether the tech obstacles should be on the main "faster" more "natural" line, or whether the obstacles should be "side" lines. Current practice is for most obstacles to be in the main line, and the people who were complaining about it were essentially told to deal with it. None of the obstacles are too big or difficult to ride on any XC bike by people with moderate skill, and the trail has been that way for many years, and nobody could come up with a solid, reasonable reason to change the trail wholesale, other than to make it faster. Which is not a very good reason at all.

  5. #5
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I don't understand. Wouldn't trail improvement mean adding new technical features, obstacles, jumps and drops. Because I would be all in favor of that.
    I agree but most of our trails have enough natural features given the rocky terrain and large boulders. Lots of our trails are in canyons or along hillsides eliminating the option for cheater lines because there simply isn't enough real estate. We do have lots of riders who like to add log rollers or stack rocks near boulders which adds some nice tech for those that choose to try them. Unfortunately those obstacles only last a few days as hikers and equestrians who hate bikers tear them down quickly. We had a section of trail that was burned several years ago leaving tons of dead trees. Riders used the deadfall to make some very fun challenging log rollers, ladders etc. A local hiking group complained as did a local equestrian group stating that these obstacles made the trails more dangerous when in truth since they were off the main trail and forced riders to slow down they actually made the trail safer for hikers and horses. I guess they were protecting us from ourselves.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HillbillyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    219
    Lol, not much of a problem with anyone moving the large trail "features" around here. Most consist of bedrock in one form or another sticking out of the sides of the hills or just straight up out of the ground. Would take a good amount of dynamite to even get it's attention.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    203
    We have had this problem with some noobs. They think they are doing everyone a favor and just don't know any better. We have tried to educate. We have put pleas on trail maintenance do's and don't next to maps at the trailhead. We haven't had it happen in a couple of years now....that means we are probably overdue.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I just got back from one of my local rides. I found that one of the more challenging sections of trail had a very large boulder removed to make the section passible to those who lack the skills to ride the section or perhaps a Strava user was looking to trim some time from his ride. Either way I feel it is important to let newbies know that this kind of trail maintenance is just not acceptable. In this particular case that boulder was supporting several larger and smaller rocks which will now eventually collapse onto the trail. There is a difference between removing a hazard such as a fallen tree and removing a trail feature. Those of us who have taken the time to develop skills enjoy being challenged. Please take the time to develop your skills and don't make unauthorized changes to the trails. If you are unable to ride a certain section there is no shame in walking it.
    What is the difference between removing a fallen tree and removing something else? What exactly is the difference? I recently came upon a fallen tree. It required special skill to negotiate, but was negotiable.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HillbillyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    219
    Would have to do with the size and attitude of the downed tree. 10" in diameter, laying flat on the ground, leave it. Any size, a foot above the ground, move it. Around here they seldom fall flat on the ground, usually fall on a side hill and are at an angle and propped off the ground too. A lot of times the branchy part is over the trail. Gotta either get off and climb over/through/ around them, or bring out the chainsaw and remove them.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

  10. #10
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,494
    100% agree with the OP and DO NOT get the mentality it takes to do such a thing, but I guess that's why people take performance enhancing drugs and find other ways to cheat, just don't have the real skill or desire to become better, naturally. When I first rode 1 of my favourite trails, it was super hard, think I WALKED 90% of it, but I didn't leave there thinking I was going to come back with a saw, shovel, pick and make it easier, I saw it as a challenge, a goal to improve my riding skills to eventually one day be able to ride 95% of it and you know what, I do now regularly ride about 95% of that trail and absolutely love it.

    SIMPLE, the tree was not there when the trail was built, it came upon the trail by the forces of nature, obviously the downed tree you came upon was not very big. Personally I tend to leave fallen trees, if they can be added into the trail as a feature, but if there are multiple down trees which would present a hazard more so than a rideable object, they get removed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    What is the difference between removing a fallen tree and removing something else? What exactly is the difference? I recently came upon a fallen tree. It required special skill to negotiate, but was negotiable.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyTom View Post
    Would have to do with the size and attitude of the downed tree. 10" in diameter, laying flat on the ground, leave it. Any size, a foot above the ground, move it. Around here they seldom fall flat on the ground, usually fall on a side hill and are at an angle and propped off the ground too. A lot of times the branchy part is over the trail. Gotta either get off and climb over/through/ around them, or bring out the chainsaw and remove them.
    The OP stated quite clearly: "If you are unable to ride a certain section there is no shame in walking it." The tree I had to negotiate required me to get off my bike, climb on top of the tree, lift my bike up set it down on the other side, and then climb down. That is how one negotiates it, but it is negotiable. The tree is certainly natural.. Why should it be removed if a boulder should not be removed?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    SIMPLE, the tree was not there when the trail was built, it came upon the trail by the forces of nature, obviously the downed tree you came upon was not very big. Personally I tend to leave fallen trees, if they can be added into the trail as a feature, but if there are multiple down trees which would present a hazard more so than a rideable object, they get removed.
    As noted above, the tree I came upon was very big. I had to climb it and lift my bike. I am sure there are some riders who could jump their bikes up and onto the tree. I've seen such things in videos.

    As far as justifying removing the tree because it wasn't there when the trail was build and came by force of nature, what about rocks that find their way onto trails by force of nature after the trails are built?

    What to leave and what to remove is a tough issue. The more we consider and discuss the issue, the better we will be able to handle matters when we are on the trail.

  13. #13
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,494
    You decide what to move off the trail by the overall difficulty of the trail, so if you're on an intermediate trail and a 3ft wide tree falls, it's a 99% certainty that most riders will not be able to hop their bikes up onto it and off the other side. You remove such obstacles because it's about riding your bike, not walking and having an obstacle on a trail that maybe 1-2% of the people riding the trail can clear is just stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    As noted above, the tree I came upon was very big. I had to climb it and lift my bike. I am sure there are some riders who could jump their bikes up and onto the tree. I've seen such things in videos.

    As far as justifying removing the tree because it wasn't there when the trail was build and came by force of nature, what about rocks that find their way onto trails by force of nature after the trails are built?

    What to leave and what to remove is a tough issue. The more we consider and discuss the issue, the better we will be able to handle matters when we are on the trail.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You decide what to move off the trail by the overall difficulty of the trail, so if you're on an intermediate trail and a 3ft wide tree falls, it's a 99% certainty that most riders will not be able to hop their bikes up onto it and off the other side. You remove such obstacles because it's about riding your bike, not walking and having an obstacle on a trail that maybe 1-2% of the people riding the trail can clear is just stupid.
    A much better analysis!

  15. #15
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,027
    The tree is certainly natural.. Why should it be removed if a boulder should not be removed?
    Unmaintained dead-fall can essentially close a trail and have it reclaimed by nature in very short order. The occasional bolder dislodged from it's footing is far less of an issue, simply because boulders don't usually clog up a trail every off-season like fallen trees.

    Loose boulders sitting in the middle of a trail that have been recently dislodged from an embedded state...and cannot be ridden over or walked over because the are loose and may move....remove them without hesitation imo. Or better yet, try to re-embed the rock in it's previous spot. Large boulders that are too heavy for 2 or 3 people to move probably become 'trail features'.

  16. #16
    My little friends
    Reputation: EABiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    326


    It was determined by all, to leave this fallen tree, and to modify the trail instead.

  17. #17
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,320
    I recently came across the same type of thing as the OP. As I was psyching myself up for a section of trail that had given me a problem or two, I approached it to find that a small bush and rock had been removed for a "work-a-round" which totally pissed me off. This was the ONLY tech section of a very easy trail and it made it more fun. Like a 5.10 move on a 5.7 route.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HillbillyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    The OP stated quite clearly: "If you are unable to ride a certain section there is no shame in walking it." The tree I had to negotiate required me to get off my bike, climb on top of the tree, lift my bike up set it down on the other side, and then climb down. That is how one negotiates it, but it is negotiable. The tree is certainly natural.. Why should it be removed if a boulder should not be removed?
    All this is well and good if some people have been clearing it. But if it's something that no one can clear, and everyone has to stop, get off, and drag their bike over it, it's not a trail feature, it's just a PITA. The other option is to move the trail around the fallen tree. But this very often isn't an option here as many times the terrain is very steep up on one side and over the edge and straight down on the other side of the 2 ft wide trail. And these steep side hills are where the trees usually seem to fall. Off the ground and at a 45 degree angle over the side of the trail. Flat land, yeah, leave it in case some wandering pro trials guy comes along that can get over it, and just route the main trail around it.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

  19. #19
    Trailhead Poseur
    Reputation: jjaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    445
    My home trail system was recently taken over by a new organization and the first order of business was to take out a bunch of the few technical features the trail had, because they said they have to make the trails accessible to everyone and those obstacles were too difficult for children and beginners. I hate it because it was pretty easy already, there was nothing there that couldn't be cleared by an advanced beginner. Seems to be their standard is that if it can't be cleared by a kid on their first ride, then it has to go.

    As far as clearing deadfall, I'd say you'd have to decide on a case-by-case basis. If a tree fell in a location and in a way that it could be incorporated into the trail as a new feature, and was consistent with other obstacles on the same trail, then I'd be inclined to keep it.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

  20. #20
    duh
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,541
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas View Post
    We have had this problem with some noobs. They think they are doing everyone a favor and just don't know any better. We have tried to educate. We have put pleas on trail maintenance do's and don't next to maps at the trailhead. We haven't had it happen in a couple of years now....that means we are probably overdue.
    overdue they just might have moved the trail on you.

    Trails should be left as is unless you are adding features
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

  21. #21
    Redcoat
    Reputation: Brockwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    983

    Dumbing down/sanitizing trails.

    Um is it confirmed that it was a newb rider as everyone pointing fingers. Of course this type of thing has happened but I wouldn't blame all trail changes on them. I think hikers and animal slave drivers are more at fault for it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    809
    I prefer to leave the trail as it is, even if a tree falls you can pile smaller logs on either side of it to go over it. I mean is some cases if the tree is 4 foot diameter it may need to have a hole cut through it to pass. If it posses as danger then by all means it should be repaired, water wash out and what not but for most things you can leave small added features by mother nature alone. It took me years to have the skills I do now for going over trees at least 2 feet thick, I don't agree about making it easier, practice and practice to ride it, way more fun.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I recently came across the same type of thing as the OP. As I was psyching myself up for a section of trail that had given me a problem or two, I approached it to find that a small bush and rock had been removed for a "work-a-round" which totally pissed me off. This was the ONLY tech section of a very easy trail and it made it more fun. Like a 5.10 move on a 5.7 route.
    While I agree that the feature probably made the trail more fun, as a lifelong climber i disagree with a 5.10 move on a 5.7 route. Routes are graded based on the hardest move, therefore that little technical section made the trail as a whole technical. The difference in cycling is it is a lot easier to walk around a harder section that it is to "skip" hard climbing moves.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: faceplant72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by serious1 View Post
    While I agree that the feature probably made the trail more fun, as a lifelong climber i disagree with a 5.10 move on a 5.7 route. Routes are graded based on the hardest move, therefore that little technical section made the trail as a whole technical. The difference in cycling is it is a lot easier to walk around a harder section that it is to "skip" hard climbing moves.
    More like chiseling a hold in the 5.10 move making the route a 5.7.

    There is a old school tight and twisty trail that I ride a lot where cheater lines and cut trees have really changed the nature.

    Dumbing down/sanitizing trails.-818384d1374559771-dumber-downers-again-img_20130722_200920%5B1%5D.jpg

    This is one cheater line that we final left alone since it would not have been long before someone cut out the tree in the center of frame. for reference the historic line was between the 2 trees.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    I think it's pretty cool that a lot of you get to ride trails specifically built for mountain biking with designed features. Just about every trail I've ridden started out as either an old mining road for hauling out ore, horsie roads for wanna-be cowboys, or multi-use trails mostly built for hikers and equestrians. They were all "sanitized" at one point or another and just because a boulder got washed into the middle of a trail during a flood or a storm blew a tree down does not necessarily make these items permanent trail features IMO. This is an pre-sanitized trail-

    Dumbing down/sanitizing trails.-dense_forest_with_ferns_afr-n-5301.jpg


    Due to my inherent lazy nature I rarely fix storm damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sanitizing and Dumbing Down Trails - Educate Me
    By dobovedo in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 06:50 AM
  2. Dumbing down the trails at Kelso
    By rbs in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
  4. Dumbing down of Twilight
    By knoob in forum Nevada
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM
  5. Decorating/Sanitizing Lunch Loop Trails
    By spintheblackcircle in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •