1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Dumb Mistake, Need Help

I am a total idiot, made my first stupid mistake when working on my bike. I pulled the brake lever without the wheel in place, the calipers are closed and won't let the disc slide back in. What do I do to open them up without prying on the pads? I have mecahnical discs, thought that they would open back up by themselves.

I'm embarassed to even ask but thought it may save me some time from tyring to figure it out myself which usually starts with a hammer and a cresent wrench and almost always ends with yelling four letter words...

mtbr member
    You say you have mechanicals? Not sure why they didn't retract but lets first look for obvious issues.

-Has the brake housing come out of your lever barrel adjuster...I know this sounds stupid, but it can happen.
    -Ditto for any cable stops (like for a rear brake)

OK, if you've checked this out and its not the problem, then you can use a clean flat bladed screwdriver to try and push the piston (mechanicals only have one piston, on the outside or away from the bike side). Do this very carefully, don't force anything or chip the pads.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info, I got the wheel back on. They were hung up, for what reason I don't know. I just really lightly tapped the housing with a rubber mallet and they popped open. I guess it is time to clean them or at least look at the possible problem. The brakes aren't dragging some maybe it was just a fluke, no real problem at all.

backwoods and backwards
    If it were mine, I would change out that cable and housing. Don't take a chance on brake failure on the trail. $6 for piece of mind.

I post too much.
    New cable and housing, with some teflon in it to allow for less friction. Small upgrade, but it can make a world of difference.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You guys were dead on when you suggested to the repalce the cable. I pulled it apart last night and it was hanging. I pulled the cable form the housing and noticed a lot of burring on the cable, looked like little nicks on the wire. I replaced with a new cable and the brakes snap open like they are new again.

Is this a sign of things to come with the rest of my cables? Just curious, my bike is a little over a month old but I ride everyday. I understand that cables will strech but should I be worried about factory cables breaking? Are aftermarket cables better than stock? I know it is a stupid question but if I am going to start breaking cables it would be helpful to know of a durable brand.

backwoods and backwards
    Stock/generic cables are fine.Problems almost always present before a cable fails.

I post too much.
    Yes usually aftermarket cables perform slightly better than stock ones. A lot of bike companies cheap out on cables.