I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Drops With Transitions??????

I have never done a drop with a transition just like 2 footer drops to flat... So I have a few questions about transition drops...

1) How much easier are drops to a landing or transition than a drop to flat... Like are you less likely to crash on a transition drop?

2) On a 2 foot drop to flat you have to just lean back behind the seat and pop the front tire up... On transitions, you land with the nose of the bike pointing downwards... So do you still have to pop the front tire up when you are doing drops to transition or just put your butt behind the seat?

I know it is stupid I am asking but I dont want to go off it like it is a drop to flat accidently and have my back tire roll out under me... Is there reeally that much thought required to put into it than a drop to flat? I know, I am a big worrier about that stuff

Thanks

mtbr member
    not as much pop needed on the front (quite often none required at all)

EDR
    Just ride off the lip with the proper speed. Push the bike out in front of you just for a moment (to get off the lip) then let it fall naturally. If it's a very steep tranny then you can go slower than a tranny with less......well...., transition. The bike will almost automatically land properly. I'm no expert by any means but there are some drops in my area of about 5 feet to very steep tranny that I feel just fine hitting.....it's just easier (to me) than a 2 1/2 or 3 footer to flat.

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks for the replies...

Nov 2008
    So not much thought is required when you are doing your first drop with tranny then right?

(not that fast)
    touch your front tire before the rear on the landing

jli
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    touch your front tire before the rear on the landing
    isn't it usually smoother to land with both tires at the same time on a transition?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jli
    isn't it usually smoother to land with both tires at the same time on a transition?
    Ya but I think the point the poster was trying to make is you don't want to land rear wheel first b/c you could slam the front end down making for an interesting run out. Landing rear wheel first to a flat surface is no big deal in comparison.

Members who have read this thread: 0