1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Dropping Chain

mtbr member

Dropping Chain

The other day while cleaning my drive train I took off the small chain ring and derailleur from the front of my 08 Komodo. So, I am running a 1*8 now. Great, because I never used it and I would always hit the shifter on accident and switch gears when it was most inconvenient. Now, I keep throwing my chain when it is most incvenient. I am guessing this is because of the low tension and lack of a derailleur to keep it in place. I don't have the money for a big bucks chain guide so I was wondering if the Blackspire Stinger Chain tensioner will do the job. It has a price I can afford and great reviews. What is your take?

Blackspire Stinger Chain Tensioner > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by Danielrg_usa; 08-12-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: ad link

mtbr member
    Did you remove the front or rear derailleur? If you still have the rear, you'd have tension, right?

You may want to double check the length of your chain. Too much slack sometimes means it has too many links.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope.

You need something that will guide the chain when it's at the top of your chainring. That's where it derails.

If you don't want to bolt extra money to the bike, just restore it to how it was. Or use the front derailleur and lock it in place with limit screws. The other low-cost option would be to use an inexpensive chain device (I have the Third Eye Chainwatcher on my 'cross bike, as a backup to the derailleur) and bash guard.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Or use the front derailleur and lock it in place with limit screws.
    +1. Cheap and easy solution. You already have the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Get an N-Gear Jumpstop. It costs like 10 bucks and I've used one on several 1x setups without issue.