mtbr member
    Mar 2014

driving myself crazy here....

So I am getting back into mountain biking after about a 15 year gap. I bought a 2014 kona precept dl, and it looks like a sweet bike. decent spec for the price. I have not ridden it yet and I am thinking of returning it for a hard tail. As i evaluate what kind of ride I'll be doing, it will be mostly city with some light trails. So should I just keep and enjoy the bike I have or trade in?

Rogue Exterminator
    If you are only going to ride paved roads, gravel roads and light trails I see no need for full suspension and think it would actually rob you from some of your riding enjoyment.

Since you set the price range though, I would say try and get a hard tail of equal value.
    You can get a pretty nice one for what that full suspension bike cost.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ride it a little bit before returning.

i rode my old hardtail for a while when I restarted mountain biking. I found it too small, bought a larger hardtail, and then traded it for a FS bike. even on lazy rides I am really tickles with the full squish. it feels wonderful.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APXR View Post
    ride it a little bit before returning.
    Whoa, no offense but bad advice.

1) He may not be able to ride it after riding it.
    2) Even if he can return it but rides it still knowing that he will be returning it, it is morally wrong. The bike is still a new bike and he would then be returning it as a used bike.
    The shop can currently sell it retail but once he rides it they can't.
    3) What if he messes it up? Then he can't return it all.

Return the bike now and get what you need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I agree with kjlued about riding it first. Also its still snowing up here where i'm at in Canada. I would be willing to go up to $2500 for a hardtail ( since I have spent around $2200 for the precept dl )

Rogue Exterminator
    You can get a really nice hardtail for that price.

I just picked up my Spot Brand Honey Badger SS for $1700
    They sell it geared too or I could have gotten it with everything to run it either geared or SS for $2100.

If you are partial to Kona or the dealer that carries them, the Honzo is a great bike.
    Probably still a little over kill on what you need for suspension but nothing that will ruin the ride. You may even find for the type of riding you are describing that a no suspension drop bar CX bike fits the bill better. The Kona Jake the Snake is an awesome bike and one I my eventually add to my fleet.

Remember if you stay in the price range but aren't spending the money on components you don't need like a rear shock (or maybe even a front shock) you get better components in other areas and also a lighter bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The LBS where I bought my Kona carries, Opus, Cove, Kona, Transition, and Rocky Mountain. Lots of sweet options there. The more I research bikes the more I remember/learn, thus the reason I am thinking of going HT. I want to stay on a mountain bike ( 650b or 29er ). The jake the snake is cool but I prefer the ride position of a MTB and I will eventually take it to some trails.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a 29er hardtail to me.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlivid View Post
    The LBS where I bought my Kona carries, Opus, Cove, Kona, Transition, and Rocky Mountain. Lots of sweet options there. The more I research bikes the more I remember/learn, thus the reason I am thinking of going HT. I want to stay on a mountain bike ( 650b or 29er ). The jake the snake is cool but I prefer the ride position of a MTB and I will eventually take it to some trails.
    Cool, lots of good brands and in the $2k price range you can't go wrong with any of them.
    I would say hard tail for sure. I certainly have taken much less capable hard tails down super gnarly stuff myself so I am sure you will be happy and not ever feel you don't have enough bike.

That Honzo for the money looks super nice too (not saying you should limit yourself to that).

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just went out and picked up the honzo. Sweet bike, put approx 5km on it. You do have to work harder with one cog up front...lol. Love it so far....

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlivid View Post
    Just went out and picked up the honzo. Sweet bike, put approx 5km on it. You do have to work harder with one cog up front...lol. Love it so far....
    Good choice, enjoy the ride. The 1x10 will get easier.
    Try a single speed next. (I can't seam to get any of my friends to drink that kool-aid yet)

BTW, for future reference the gear(s) in the front is called a chainring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Cool man, thanks for the friendly in put. I'm going to ride the wheels off this thing. It's tubeless ready so maybe upgrade? Lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Whoa, no offense but bad advice.

1) He may not be able to ride it after riding it.
    2) Even if he can return it but rides it still knowing that he will be returning it, it is morally wrong. The bike is still a new bike and he would then be returning it as a used bike.
    The shop can currently sell it retail but once he rides it they can't.
    3) What if he messes it up? Then he can't return it all.

Return the bike now and get what you need.
    hummm... the bike place I got my bake said I could retunr it for one year from purchase no questions asked. I assumed that was pretty universal, but maybe I was wrong.

I didn't mean it in the sense that he should somehow cause the bike shop a loss or do something unethical.

I meant it from the perspective of maybe he'll really like it and keep it if he tries riding it a little.

Rogue Exterminator
    Welcome to the money pit we call cycling.
    It won't be long before you are willing to sell a kidney to ride.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Go ride your bike.

Hardtails are also overkill for city riding. If it bothers you, get an actual road bike.

WTF are "light trails?" Do you mean something two stroller-mommies can wander on two abreast? Do you mean singletrack? Are you downplaying something that would give the rest of us palpitations to look down?

Where do you want to go with your riding?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If you are only going to ride paved roads, gravel roads and light trails I see no need for full suspension
    ...or any $2500 bike, for that matter.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.