1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

The dreaded "Which bike?" question

So I'm currently in the market for my first mountain bike. Just getting into the sport, always looking for new ways to enjoy the outdoors. My budget is in the $6-800 range. I've been eyeing the Trek 4300 and the Giant Revel 0. I'm mostly looking for beta on those two bikes, but any info is always nice to have. Other suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Start with a budget bike from craigslist. Most of the time, you can find pretty sweet deals on there. I've known a couple of guys that buy expensive bikes, and just don't like the sport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll start keeping an eye out on my local CL, thanks for the suggestion. I guess I should also state that I'll probably be using the bike mostly for more mild to intermediate trail rides, maybe some very basic downhill, nothing technical, just to get a feel for dancing with gravity. I'd also like to do some bikepacking. Thanks again.

T.W.O
    I would suggest buying used on your local craigslist within that pricepoint. If you have any questions, link the post back to this thread.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Fat-tired Roadie
    They won't both fit the same. Ride them both, form an opinion.

Second the suggestion to buy via CL if you know your way around the equipment well. A shop carrying used bikes is a good choice that still gives a lot of the value-added service of retail. If you don't know wtf you're doing, buying via a shop has some definite advantages.

For bikepacking, I'd also be looking to see how much of a fight it will be to get a rack on each bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good call on checking about racks for the bikes, my common sense failed to think of that. I'm pretty mechanically savvy, but I think I'm going to check used bikes at the LBS first just to have them for support and the experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Corncob I would agree with your decision to buy from an LBS. Although you can get more bike for your money on-line since it is your first mtb you will need help with fit, adjustments, etc. Any good LBS will do this for you.

I would suggest looking at a few different shops and try out as many bikes as you can in your price range. You will know which bike you want.

Good luck

Big Gulps, Alright!
    For your first bike, buy a new bike and buy it from a local bike shop.

You can score some nice deals on craigslist but if you're new to the sport you won't know what to look for. And if you buy a used bike with mechanical issues, you'll never want to ride it.

A shop will fit you properly, demonstrate the various features and probably offer some kind of free tune up.

mtbr member
    I found a really good deal on c-list myself. However, if you are over eager and don't watch out you'll burn yourself buying used. Especially if you don't have any tools or know how to fix things yourself.