1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Downhill low down.

Hiya, I've been riding XC for about a year now on and off, however recently I discovered a very nice downhill course, which tides in well with the fact that I just bought an all mountain bike with some a respectable amount of travel.

Anyways, I had a look and the whole place was very intimidating, with huge jumps and very tight corners. However what I did I really enjoyed.

I plan on going twice weekly early when it'll be quiet to brush up on my skills, but I'd very much like some help.
    Firstly, what is the proper technique for Downhill cornering, and linking turns quickly?
    What is the proper seat position? I've heard it's low down, but how low down?
    Thirdly, how should I go about tackling some of the smaller jumps?

Cheers guys.

Might not get a whole lot of help on this forum, try the downhill forum...FWIW one guy's downhill course might be just a ride to others...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was set up with the intentions of being a downhill course, and there is some very technical stuff.
    But cheers, I'll go have a gander in the Downhill forum and see what they say.