mtbr member
    Jan 2014

does this make sense?

Yes
    Last edited by tomekkplk; 08-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    When I swapped my aluminum bars for carbon (eventually back to aluminum), it wasn't to save weight. The weight you save just from swapping bars is minimal and probably can't be felt. The benefits of a carbon handlebar is its dampening and feel. You're not going to feel as much vibration on the trail and it softens up the bigger hits.

As for the rotors, a 180mm F and 160mm R is more than sufficient enough for you, especially on an XC 29er. I run the same combo on a 140mm travel all mountain bike and its more than enough stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    your friend must be a weight weenie.....a single component does not make that much difference......bigger is not always better when it comes to the disc brake rotors..... sounds like your friend also does it for the bling factor.....I am a heavy guy (250lbs and shrinking) I prefer strong parts over super light stuff... I am old school though... cro-moly and aluminum work for me
    97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

mtbr member
    you are fine...
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

Picture Unrelated
    Sounds like you're both more into gear than you are riding. Which is fine, bike gear is pretty sweet. I'd stop worrying about what parts are attached to your bike and start riding more.

Handlebars are pretty important; between that and the stem it's what keeps your from smashing your face into the steerer tube. that being the case, I wouldn't cheap out on either of those two parts. No-name carbon is questionable, sometimes fine and sometimes not. It's very hard to tell which is which as a pretty part doesn't imply a good part. Saving weight is not always worth sacrificing strength and durability. Your rotors are fine, run 'em.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why does he or you care about what he thinks you should have on your bike? 200 MM are big for most riding ,I run 180'S on one bike and 160's on the other. Whatever weight saving there is you won't be able to tell when you are riding.And 200 mm rotors weigh more than 180's and that weight is in the wheels which is more important than the bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    its not about the bike... its the rider....... throwing money and high end parts on your bike does not make you a better rider...... working on your riding skills is the best place to start..... I have seen people that have a $7-8k bike and be out ridden by someone on a $1000-1500 bike... I personally find what works for me and my budget and go with it

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bought what I needed because they needed to be replaced. cassette and rotors needed replacement. The grips i read about are great, the handle bars weren't comfortable, the seat hurt, the rear wheel had a flat spot, and the fork was trash. There is no bling on my bike, I bought quality parts to replace crappy ones. Get mad.

I replaced the original 180/160 with airotor 180/160mm.

Fork isn't some 1000$ fox or rockshox.
    just went from 100mm to 120mm

Saddle, I went with what everyone said was comfortable.

I don't see where the "need" for bling is in any of this.

mtbr member
    Replacing parts because its needed has nothing to do with bling but necessity. Sounds like you did what you had to do to get the bike riding the way you want it and there is nothing wrong with that. We all do it to an extent. Just don't let your buddy influence you on what you SHOULD get vs. what you've already bought. Just because he put 203mm rotors on doesn't mean you have to or should. IMO, 203mm rotors on a 29er XC bike is just overkill and borderline ridiculous.

since 4/10/2009
    big dudes should NEVER have the weight of an item as higher priority than strength/durability. Neither should cheap be very high on that list. Light and cheap means it will most likely be weak.

You can get strong carbon bars, but they won't be cheap. Rotors CAN be too big. In fact, frame and fork manufacturers will specify the maximum rotor diameter that should be used. Even though you "can" buy adapters to make a 200mm rotor fit, it doesn't mean you should. You could void your warranty and have a catastrophic premature failure because you did not pay attention to the manufacturer specifications/warnings on your bike. buying better brakes can get you increased power without buying oversized rotors that increase the possibility of trashing your frame/fork.

Sounds like your buddy is a bit short on sense.

As for your parts changes, I think you erred on the side of bling. Unless you're already running a full XTR drivetrain, an XTR chain isn't going to make much of a difference compared to an XT or an LX one. Ashima rotors? I can understand buying new rotors if the old ones are worn/warped/glazed, but you don't really gain much from going with Ashima rotors except a bigger price tag. Sure, you'll drop some weight, but the reduction in material on the braking surface will also result in less power and will change the thermal dynamics of the rotor (they are likely to get hotter than your old ones, since there is less material to disperse the heat from braking, and you will have to grab more lever, generating more heat, in order to achieve similar braking performance). These will be subtle changes, but will not be improvements from stock. Getting a better fork installed will make some improvements. That said, increasing travel will change the handling of the bike some. if you know what to expect and are fine with that, go ahead. As long as a 20mm increase in travel is within the design parameters of your frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    nothing wrong with upgrading when you need to replace parts or change stuff for how you ride......but putting on big rotors and carbon parts, anodized parts just because it looks better than the next guys bike or because you just have to have the best stuff on your bike even if it doesnt suit your riding style, thats different

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The Ashima rotors cost me $25 with free shipping together. I heard the XTR chain will withstand much more than the regular, I have a full XT, chain is nothing to brag about nor is it bling. Anyone that sees it will think it's a regular chain. I'm going more for longer lasting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper97 View Post
    its not about the bike... its the rider....... throwing money and high end parts on your bike does not make you a better rider...... working on your riding skills is the best place to start..... I have seen people that have a $7-8k bike and be out ridden by someone on a $1000-1500 bike... I personally find what works for me and my budget and go with it
    Well said, couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 08:10 AM.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    sram chain is cheaper. you should be replacing your chain every 500 miles or so anyway.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Not a sram fan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I hate sram chains. I'll stick with kmc. Anyways I don't know why your friend is complaining about your bike. That's just weird. I ride with my friends but I don't care what they ride until they ask me what I think about something. Then I toss out my opinion and we keep on riding.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tomekkplk View Post
    The Ashima rotors cost me $25 with free shipping together. I heard the XTR chain will withstand much more than the regular, I have a full XT, chain is nothing to brag about nor is it bling. Anyone that sees it will think it's a regular chain. I'm going more for longer lasting.
    Shimano's marketing line would have you believe that the XTR chain lasts longer, but it also costs a good bit more. Cost/mile is just not appreciably better, IMO. You are better off spending a bit less. The stable of bikes in my house has everything from old Deore and LX bits to SLX, XT, and XTR. LX and SLX stuff is outstanding value. The value of Deore stuff is getting better over the years, too, as tech trickles down. XT has a little more of a performance boost and is therefore a bit less of a value than SLX. XTR has pretty much the least value of everything. Yes, it does have higher performance, but the chain matters the least of the whole group, which is why I say it's not worth using an XTR chain unless the whole rest of your drivetrain is already XTR.

Currently my wife's whole drivetrain is XTR, but that is how it was purchased used. When it is time to replace the chain and cassette, I'll be downgrading to XT because the cost of XTR wear bits is steep. This is why I won't buy SRAM's 1x11 stuff. Those cassettes are more expensive than XTR 10spd cassettes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am new here and new to mountain biking and as many new people say I find the info here great. This is one of the only threads I have read where people are down on a guy that bought higher end parts. Here are my 2 cents. While I am new to this sport I have played allot of golf and other sports and confidence in equipment is almost as important as the equipment. I used to play a ton of pool and was pretty good won a bunch of tourneys and played for money all the time. Sure I could beat most average players with a house cue but, I wouldn't hand the "confidence" in that equipment to pull off highly technical shots. Did I need a $1700 Schon? No I didn't but, the confidence in it was valuable to me and the occasional complement from somebody that knew what they where looking at didn't hurt either. When I was buying my bike a buddy told me after I found a couple bikes that had a good feel and the level of components I wanted to basically pick my favorite color because if you don't like the way it looks or don't feel good about the parts then you won't be as happy with it. All that being said and most of what you guys saying being Greek to me. If the guy wants to spend extra on parts and it is considered blind so be it. This sport above any I have been involved with it seems is about keeping up with the Jones whether anybody wants to admit it or not.