1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Does being 'light weight' means I can't do well in time trial?

Well this is not exactly about MTB.

I realise that I couldn't time trial very well on the flat but I can climb relatively well compared to people of my field.

My estimated FTP is 200w, 56kg. That makes around 3.57w/kg. The FTP is just an estimation, not exact value. But it shouldn't be too far off.

I believe a 200w FTP is relatively low but if being able to time trial on the flat rely more of FTP than W/kg, does that mean that it would be much harder to power on the flat compared to the bigger guys of the same W/kg as me?

Thanks in advance

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. Try the XC racing and training forum for this sort of thing if you must post it on a MTB site.

That said, your answer is mostly right there in that jumble of numbers you posted. If a big dude has the same watts per kilo as you, multiply that stat by his weight and you'll see why it's going to be hard for you to compete in a flat TT.

Bear in mind that at high speeds, the opposing force is mostly air resistance. Your larger opponents push more air than you, but it doesn't go up linearly, so probably not much more air. At low speeds on a climb, the opposing force is gravity and the problem becomes W/kg. Since road races are still relatively fast on a climb, air drag still plays a role. Which is part of why predicting race outcomes from people's power numbers doesn't really work.

If you're racing off-road, it's never very fast or very flat. So no excuses.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx