1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Does anyone use a derailleur protector?

Just been browsing eBay this evening for some cycle related bargains and found one of these:

Cycling Bike Bicycle Rear Derailleur Chain Stay Guard Protector #K | eBay

I've never seen one of these before - they look like they could be useful in the case of having a big spill out on the trail... so does anyone use one?

Thanks
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

mtbr member
    Never used one on any of my bikes however I have had derailleurs break while riding. Every time it's been small twigs getting caught in the wheels causing them to bend around and snap the unit off or bend it all to hell when you peddle.
    I can't think of a failure where that guard would have helped me.

That being said, I think it's a great idea. Especially for older frames where the derailleur threads directly into the frame. Lose that thread and you're pooched.

mtbr member
    To me that looks like trouble waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They're primarily meant for kids who can't wrap not throwing the bike on its side around their heads. As far as trail-related mishaps, they will only protect you from a crash, not from trail snakes (twigs/sticks). Integrated hangers are almost always on steel bikes, so no problem bending back, and you can use a dropout saver to fix it if the threads get elongated.

So, not very useful.

mtbr member
    I see! Fair enough, Its just i've never seen them before!

On a similar note, is it worth buying a Chain Stay Protector?
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDougieDouglas View Post

On a similar note, is it worth buying a Chain Stay Protector?
    Yes and no. I used to spray rocker guard (rubberized paint) on my steel bikes to stop them from rusting out once the chain wore the factory paint away.

I assumed I wouldn't need a guard on the aluminum frame but I find that it reduces a ton of chain slap noise from going over rough patches and jumping etc. I ended up with a cloth one.

Cow Clicker
    Several options:

Best chainstay protection?
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    A cheap chainstay protector is to cut an old tube to about 12-14 inches (depending on the length of your stays) and wrap the stay with it. Wrap it sort of like you are taping a hockey stick (angled and overlapping). Keep it held on with black electrical tape.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    A cheap chainstay protector is to cut an old tube to about 12-14 inches (depending on the length of your stays) and wrap the stay with it. Wrap it sort of like you are taping a hockey stick (angled and overlapping). Keep it held on with black electrical tape.
    Zip ties work better, and leave no sticky residue when it comes time to remove/replace it.

mtbr member
    just dont buy that is useless just do the tube thing for protecting the chainstay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDougieDouglas View Post
    Just been browsing eBay this evening for some cycle related bargains and found one of these:

Cycling Bike Bicycle Rear Derailleur Chain Stay Guard Protector #K | eBay

I've never seen one of these before - they look like they could be useful in the case of having a big spill out on the trail... so does anyone use one?

Thanks
    I have this on my Walmart bike!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone use a derailleur protector?-uploadfromtaptalk1372904397900.jpg