mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Do you pay online listed price for a new bike?

Or are you able to talk them down nowadays. I've been given every indication that that is the final asking price, period. Spec, Trek, SC, etc.

too tired to be clever
    Jan 2005
    Depends on which 'on-line' price you refer to. The Manufacturer's website, or the bike retailer's website. If those are equal I shop somewhere else.

mtbr member
    depends on the company, the dealer, and the time of year. I worked at a few Trek dealers over the years, and I know that Trek, and I assume most other manufacturers, set prices that fluctuate over the season. to be a dealer of that brand, you have to sell bikes no lower than a set price until the manufacturer lowers it. this is to protect dealers from being undercut by other dealers who are cutting corners on things. they all make the same margin on selling bikes, so they have to focus on the overall customer service experience.

so if the bike shop says they can't go any lower on a prices, it's because they are contractually obligated.

where you do have latitude with a dealer in this situation is on maintenance labor costs (offer of free tune-ups and such), fitting services, and accessories. the bike shop probably has more wiggle room selling you a helmet, shoes, upgraded parts, tools, lights, etc at a discount than they do on complete bikes. it might be worthwhile to them to basically give you a helmet and some gloves if it means they can sell you a complete bike at the current price.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Most mainstream brands use MAP pricing on current models. The best way to get deals is new but last year models when this years models are starting to hit the stores.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek has a strategy of having the shop sales guys tell you "I can't go lower than this price". It's the same with other shops. He can't go any lower. Personally because he has no power.
    The manager or owner can.
    You should only talk price with a manager.
    He is still somewhat limited by time of year. At this time of year 20% off list plus possibly 3% more for cash to avoid card fees is about it. 30-35% at Labor Day on 17s. 15%+3 on 18s.
    It's totally up to the manager. You may need to talk to 1/2 dozen shops to get a couple who will work with you to get a deal done. Don't ask for a % off. Figure out what the price will be with tax and call different managers to ask if they can work with you at this price to get a deal done out the door.
    No special shipping. It comes with a shop order.
    You will put 60% down as a non-refundable deposit on a bike they have to order. That protects the shop.
    I'd also ask for a future discount on anything you have them order of 20%.

You can possibly get 5 off more on a Giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Trek has a strategy of having the shop sales guys tell you "I can't go lower than this price". It's the same with other shops. He can't go any lower. Personally because he has no power.
    The manager or owner can.
    You should only talk price with a manager.
    He is still somewhat limited by time of year. At this time of year 20% off list plus possibly 3% more for cash to avoid card fees is about it. 30-35% at Labor Day on 17s. 15%+3 on 18s.
    It's totally up to the manager. You may need to talk to 1/2 dozen shops to get a couple who will work with you to get a deal done. Don't ask for a % off. Figure out what the price will be with tax and call different managers to ask if they can work with you at this price to get a deal done out the door.
    No special shipping. It comes with a shop order.
    You will put 60% down as a non-refundable deposit on a bike they have to order. That protects the shop.
    I'd also ask for a future discount on anything you have them order of 20%.

You can possibly get 5 off more on a Giant.

The LBS I just bought my new bike from gave me sticker price on a 2018 Santa Cruz but threw in $400 worth of Helmets and Pedals. I feel like I got an average deal, but without the discount on the online Santa Cruz Website price, maybe I feel like I could have done better. I wish I had asked for a blanket discount on future accessory purchases.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A few sites like Competitive Cyclist sell Santa Cruz and Ive heard you can work deals with them if you chat or call.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll put in a good word for Competitive Cyclist. Bought 2 bikes from them within the last 9 months and have been extremely impressed with their level of customer service. Great communication and follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Trek has a strategy of having the shop sales guys tell you "I can't go lower than this price".
    That is not a Trek (or other manufacturer) policy. That's the individual shop owner/manager's decision.

Your exact numbers are also off. It might be the case where you live, but they vary heavily geographically. Ask for 20% off on 2017 MY bikes in any shop in my town right now and you'll get laughed out. The reason for that is that not every bike company is shipping every 2018 model yet for replacement, so stock levels are super low, especially on better quality stuff. Some shops (esp the bigger ones that have lots of stock to move) might be really pushing out 2017 stock, but not all. Where I live, LOTS of people want to buy bikes right now, and they get mad if there's no stock. Pretty common this time of year for many models to be gone at the dealers AND the warehouse, and for the 2018's to be unavailable still. So there's no incentive to blow out 2017's yet. Price drops on 2017's really go into full force in the fall. And most shops here don't have labor day sales, or sales for any other particular holiday. Some shops do sales when their parent brands do (if they carry a brand that does such a thing). Others run their own sale schedule. Here, early season sales are much more common than late season ones.

It's certainly possible to pay less than posted MSRP. Couple factors play into that.
    1. You can't be picky about what you want - the more picky you are, the less likely you are to find a deal that works for you. If you want a really popular bike, there's very little chance you'll get a discount at a shop. You're probably better off finding a used one somewhere than getting a shop to discount you the bike. Color also plays into this. If a bike was made in a really ugly color, you'll probably be able to get a good deal on one. Less so for the more popular colors.
    2. If you ride a popular frame size, you're less likely to find a screaming deal than you are if you are at the extreme ends of the spectrum.
    3. A shop in a high rent neighborhood...esp a lower volume shop in such a neighborhood...will probably be less likely to offer big discounts.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    The LBS I just bought my new bike from gave me sticker price on a 2018 Santa Cruz but threw in $400 worth of Helmets and Pedals. I feel like I got an average deal, but without the discount on the online Santa Cruz Website price, maybe I feel like I could have done better. I wish I had asked for a blanket discount on future accessory purchases.
    Ha! That's probably the best you could really ask for on a 2018 bike that hasn't been out for very long. I have NEVER seen a shop offer blanket discounts on future purchases as part of any negotiation. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that makes me chuckle. Only time I've ever seen any sort of blanket discount given is when the shop owner decides to offer a certain individual such a thing. Usually for long term customer loyalty, being a personal friend, being a major local cycling advocate, or an exchange for business services or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Ha! That's probably the best you could really ask for on a 2018 bike that hasn't been out for very long. I have NEVER seen a shop offer blanket discounts on future purchases as part of any negotiation. Not saying it doesn't happen, but that makes me chuckle. Only time I've ever seen any sort of blanket discount given is when the shop owner decides to offer a certain individual such a thing. Usually for long term customer loyalty, being a personal friend, being a major local cycling advocate, or an exchange for business services or something like that.

I'm sure I could have gotten (and maybe still could get) a discount on some gear when I pick up the bike and pay the other half off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Every shop isn't going to be 'interested' in giving a discount. It completely depends on the manager. Even though a manager can do what he wants, he may want to get msrp. That's his choice. You have the money. That's your choice. Don't buy from that shop or support it. In my experience you'll get more support and you'll want to work more with a shop where the manager is open to helping you get the best bike you can. Give and take creates an ongoing relationship for me.
    If you get laughed out of the shops in a smaller town go someplace where you're appreciated. Or go online.

mtbr member
    I also got 2 bikes from Competitivecyclist. I just wasn't wild about the specific builds available from the manufacturer. I got them custom built and got a smoking deal because I could pick and chose among components that were on sale.

since 4/10/2009
    Every shop isn't going to be 'interested' in giving a discount. It completely depends on the manager. Even though a manager can do what he wants, he may want to get msrp. That's his choice. You have the money. That's your choice. Don't buy from that shop or support it. In my experience you'll get more support and you'll want to work more with a shop where the manager is open to helping you get the best bike you can. Give and take creates an ongoing relationship for me.
    If you get laughed out of the shops in a smaller town go someplace where you're appreciated. Or go online.
    There is relationship building and then there are unrealistic expectations that insult smalll business owners.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    People are supremely capable of making things up to justify their behavior.
    Always remember the money you have gives you the right to choose what you buy.
    Walk away from any shop with an attitude. Their attitude has nothing to do with your riding.
    This goes the same for how you act as a customer. This is a sport of love of riding after all.
    Bring that forward as your main goal. Not just money.

since 4/10/2009
    People are supremely capable of making things up to justify their behavior.
    Always remember the money you have gives you the right to choose what you buy.
    Walk away from any shop with an attitude. Their attitude has nothing to do with your riding.
    This goes the same for how you act as a customer. This is a sport of love of riding after all.
    Bring that forward as your main goal. Not just money.
    You are also owed nothing. Sure, as a customer you have money and you deserve some respect. But that goes both ways. Respect that the small business owner has bills to pay and a family to feed. You are not entitled to a discount on everything all the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's not the customers responsibility to raise someone's children, pay their bills or subsidize a person's endeavors when they may lack the skills to make ago of it in the marketplace. I have plenty of respect for those who earn it. No questions. None in that group for me include the msrp boys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I went through Jenson USA for my bike and emailed one of the customer service reps and he cut me a deal on the bike. My philosophy is you never get what you don't ask for. The worst they can tell you is no (then you either shop around or pay what they ask because you love the bike).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cs84 View Post
    I went through Jenson USA for my bike and emailed one of the customer service reps and he cut me a deal on the bike. My philosophy is you never get what you don't ask for. The worst they can tell you is no (then you either shop around or pay what they ask because you love the bike).
    Absolutely, what does it cost to call and ask? Congrats on the deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk