1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Do you need Shin/Knee guards with clipless?

I understand wearing knee/shin guards with flats, but what about when you're running clipless?

Hardwarz

pants on head retarded
    Depends on your level of comfort and style of riding I suppose. Sure, clipless pedals are less likely to spin off and smack you in the knee, but a crash is a crash.

Protective gear isn't about "needs" as much as what you feel is necessary for the riding you do.

T.W.O.
    Shin/knee/elbow are more for the terrain you are riding. If you are already comfortable with clipless you don't need the pads there much less chance that you'd slip and hit your shin on the clipless.

mtbr member
    I've ridden clipless for years, and wear knee pads too. I don't ride wild, but it only took a couple of knee/rock interactions to convince me it's worth it. Light duty hard shell type. Two days ago I came unclipped on a technical climb and whacked my shin with he pedal. And the lump from the time I did it two weeks ago hadn't disappeared yet. Now my lump has a lump. In 12 years of riding clipless, I've rarely whacked my shins - until now. So I'll turn up the clip tension again, but shin guards are starting to interest me.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    if you're a noob it can't hurt.....

FWIW i just started skateboarding again....i wear helmet, knee, elbow and wrist guards....i look like an old crippled ninja turtle in a sea casually attired skate punks....

don't worry about what others think...if you gain some confidence by rocking the teflon shins more power to ya......when you gain some experience you'll know exactly what works for you. only self conscious douchenozzles are gonna raz you on the trail (and i wouldn't count on that ever happening)

BTW - i wear knee/shin/forearm/FF on aggressive trails while clipped in.....

my .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    We wear tight lycra shorts, colorful body forming jerseys, funky helmets, ride bikes like little kids in the woods and giggle like children when we clear an obstacle. Adding arm and leg guards is not going to make you look any goofier. Just wear your protection out there and have fun. Life is NOT about what others think. It's about what YOU think.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    We wear tight lycra shorts, colorful body forming jerseys, funky helmets, ride bikes like little kids in the woods and giggle like children when we clear an obstacle. Adding arm and leg guards is not going to make you look any goofier. Just wear your protection out there and have fun. Life is NOT about what others think. It's about what YOU think.
    +1! I ride a dualsport motorcycle and look like the blue Power-ranger.... I have had a few get-offs and so far walked away unscathed. Same on my MTB. I don't care what others say, it is my body I am protecting not theirs....
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

T.W.O.
    Dictatorsaurus, I would pay 2 bits to see that

Well, pads not only help protect you when you go down, it also help making you a better rider. The worst thing you can do when you are riding is being indecisive, or commit to line choice. If you are afraid that you'd go down you are not commit to what you are about to do. Some would try to bail out in the middle of the rocky descend or short steep chute, which most of the time is a bad idea.

On the other hand, when you pad up, you know that by any chance you do go down, you are more protected than not wearing one. It helps you commit to your line choice. In mountain biking confidence is very important and it's contagious. When you are confident, you are relax, and when you are relax you can brake better harder, and corner better. When you are nervous, it seems like you can't control your bike at all it skids and stiff.

I remember when I practice stair steps and hops I suit up like Joust contestant on American Gladitor. I started running down the stair and learn where to put my body weight imagining that it was a rock garden. I bailed out and crash a few times but every time I got up and run up to the top and do it again.