1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Do you always bring a lock with the bike?

I am checking a U lock and cable lock for my new bike. But I feel them really clumsy. I am wondering if other people also bring a lock with the bike always. If so, where do you put it when you are cycling.

local trails rider
    When I'm on a "ride", I'm not leaving the bike. So I don't need a lock.

If I'm going somewhere, I bring a lock in a backpack. Depending on where I go, it could be a U and a cable in a regular small backpack, or a cable lock stuffed into a hydration pack.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Definitely not. If I'm on a ride (trail or pavement), same as Perttime, I leave the lock at home. If I'm headed to the store or someplace that I have to leave the bike unattended then yeah, and I haul it in a small back pack, or in the case of my commuter (it has a rear rack and trunk bag) I simply put the lock in the bag. I commute on the bike fairly regularly, but I am fortunate to work at a bike shop. Those of us that ride get to park the bike(s) in the back room. So no need for a lock there.

Anyway, it usually isn't necessary to carry a lock everywhere you go. It just depends on where you are going, and whether you have to leave the bike unattended or not.

As for transporting the lock on the bike, I don't find it to be a good idea. Most locks that do come with frame mounts are a PIA to get mounted out of the way and/or without interfering with other accessories, i.e. water bottle cages, seat bags, etc. And just looping a cable or chain type lock around the frame somewhere will often interfere with cables and such, and will also eventually abrade the paint and frame.

So, your call. But a small back pack or a rear rack and bag are usually the best way to transport a lock.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What kinda locks do you suggest using? I noticed somebody suggested using a clumsy U lock and a long cable. Is it the best way to do that? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    Definitely not. If I'm on a ride (trail or pavement), same as Perttime, I leave the lock at home. If I'm headed to the store or someplace that I have to leave the bike unattended then yeah, and I haul it in a small back pack, or in the case of my commuter (it has a rear rack and trunk bag) I simply put the lock in the bag. I commute on the bike fairly regularly, but I am fortunate to work at a bike shop. Those of us that ride get to park the bike(s) in the back room. So no need for a lock there.

Anyway, it usually isn't necessary to carry a lock everywhere you go. It just depends on where you are going, and whether you have to leave the bike unattended or not.

As for transporting the lock on the bike, I don't find it to be a good idea. Most locks that do come with frame mounts are a PIA to get mounted out of the way and/or without interfering with other accessories, i.e. water bottle cages, seat bags, etc. And just looping a cable or chain type lock around the frame somewhere will often interfere with cables and such, and will also eventually abrade the paint and frame.

So, your call. But a small back pack or a rear rack and bag are usually the best way to transport a lock.

Good Dirt

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Always understand that a lock and chain/cable will not prevent a bike from being stolen. These devices may deter a bike thief to look for an easier victim but at best will only slow down a thief from stealing your pride and joy.

My mountain bikes are used on trails, not streets. If I'm travelling and stop to eat, I choose a restaurant that I can view my vehicle from the table. If I'm camping and go for a hike, the rigs go inside my truck with multiple locks.

If a bike thief, a person that actively seeks out bikes to steal, has the skills, they can defeat any lock/chain system almost as fast as it takes you to pull the key out of your pocket and unlock your lock. Do not rely on locks to protect your bike. Rely on your brain to make wise decisions.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have one in my truck, so that if Im on the way to/from a trail and have to stop at the store etc I can lock my bike to the bed of my truck.

J-

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i carry a cable and a small decent sized lock in my back pack

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I always bring one. We have a lot of mountain lion sightings and you can't be too careful...

Oh, you said "lock"... I thought you said, "Glock".

No, I don't bring a lock when I'm out riding. If I'm planning to go places where I might leave my bike unattended (like when I'm camping), then I might throw a cable lock in my bag. Otherwise I keep an eye on it.

banned
    Jul 2012
    If you expect to leave your bike, anytime during your rides, then youíll need one. Like others, I donít leave my bike.

mtbr member
    I never leave my bike on a ride. Never. I will leave my bike on the rack on the truck, but only with a lock and cable. This will not stop everyone, but will deter most people.

If I plan on riding somewhere were I will need to leave the bike I will not ride my primary bike. I have 2 additional bikes. One is my old MTB. Nice and trail worthy, but it would not kill me to have it stolen and a cheap $50 "fake" mtb from walmart. That bike so cheap that I don't care if anything happens. Of course only ride that around parking lots. Long story as to why, but it bike that seems limited use, but when I use it is handy and mostly it is cheap.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i don't even own a lock. i don't believe in them. if i had to commute with my bike that would be another story, but for a trail bike that's only used in trails, i'm never leaving it anywhere because i'm riding it and then riding to my car, and my car locks it on the rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Depends if u need to lock your bike or not.

mtbr member
    If I'm riding to ride, then the lock stays at home. If I'm using the bike to get somewhere, then I'll bring it.

For the lock itself, I have a 6' x 10mm OnGaurd cable lock that came with a bracket to hold it. I mounted it to the seatpost. The lock has a T shaped fitting on it that slides into the bracket, twist it and it locks on in place, coiled and standing upright hanging from the seatpost over the rear wheel. Click the release button, then twist the other way, and it's free.

And I went with the combination lock, as to not worry about losing keys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i do.. just cant risk losing my TREK MAMBA ... i have a combo lock this way i dont have to worry about losing the key.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I only bring a lock if it is a place i don't trust leaving my bike. Which in town is almost every where but work.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    cable lock that came with a bracket to hold it.
    I've managed to "mount" cable locks on bikes without any brackets: thread it through seat rails and around seat post so that it stays put. Whether this is possible may depend on seat design and how fat the skinny end of the locking system is.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't leave my bike when I'm out riding. I lock my bike with multiple locks in my shed though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i live in suburbia so if i stop to get a sandwich i park the bike where i can see it. However, on tour i carry a small plastic covered cable from the hardware store w/ a minimalist master key lock. Cost about $5 and weighs just a couple ounces. I started doing this because I realized that my bike could easily be stolen when camping in or near urban areas. I don't worry in the woods, but one time I was awoken by three officers that had three patrol cars idling with headlights on me. My friend said later that he heard them pullup, but we were sound asleep (45 miles that day)...Anyone could have rolled my bike away that night.

The lock is just a deterrant, I would never leave my bike alone and unsecured.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I usually don't because I never leave my bike when I'm riding but I saw people wrapping the cable type lock around their seat tube and it seems like a really comfortable spot to put it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Doing a lot of riding in london at the moment, it really pays to have a bike lock- No matter how busy a place is, your bike is going to be stolen if you leave it for 30 secs. As a friend of mine once said- No-one's ever been annoyed/angry because they've carried a lock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    When camping we lock the bikes to a tree while sleeping.

mtbr member
    Bike lock goes everywhere, but doesn't get used unless it's sitting somewhere overnight.
    Proud dad, coffee and beer lover, 2 wheel advocate, lifelong learner. Wife's blog: http://www.mymotheringmadness.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bring mine everywhere I go. You just never know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Locks keep honest people honest. if someone wants your bike bad enough, nothing, short of beatdown or gun, will stop them
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i keep a lock in my truck i need two more post to private message

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast