1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Do White Colored Saddles Fade Easily?

I am looking to upgrade my saddle, and saw a sweet white one. I was wondering if it yellows easy (from dirt, mud and sitting on it) or if most white saddles are pretty much immune to getting dirty with good maintenance.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveryou
    I am looking to upgrade my saddle, and saw a sweet white one. I was wondering if it yellows easy (from dirt, mud and sitting on it) or if most white saddles are pretty much immune to getting dirty with good maintenance.
    Fade? white would fade to...white
    they do get dirty, mine is still white with alot of dirt that wont come off

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    mine is great! but i am in the desert with not much mud

mx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i am thinking about upgrading my saddle to a white specialized avatar gel -- what do you all think?

my bike:

Ride the dream
    White components can be wiped clean... Material is harder to clean (and takes alot longer).

I dont have a purewhite saddle, but the cow-effect belair on my hardtail now looks like a real cow, aint no way im getting that dirt out

My bike is cooler then me
    i've had a black wtb for a long time that as faded a little bit but nothing at all serious... remember you will be on the bike when its out side soooooo not a whole lot of sun exposure

not saying you dont know, but incase you dont... make sure you are sitting on that saddle before you buy it... or at least get a ruff idea of the sizing. they are all made with diffrent sit bone and crotch lengths... so it can look awesome but if its not right for you it could cause pain and damage to your undercarriage...

on that note... the white is pretty sick... i likey
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

mtbr member
    A white saddle might bring out the white in the fork...hmm?
    Do they come in mad red?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think that would look great on your bike.

My roadie has a black and white saddle (Scott) and there are some dark spots on the white area where I think I just wore off the white paint, but I still think it looks great. I wouldn't worry too much about discoloration. I'm actually going this afternoon to pick up the same Scott saddle for my new (to me) Rig.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    I have a red bike too, and a white saddle looks great on it. Well, its not totally white but it matches

The leather part has stayed white, but the cloth part around the rear has gotten pretty dirty/uncleanable. You shouldnt have any problems with the avatar.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75