1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Do u think this is a scam

so i found this add on craigslist and was wondering if u guys think its a scam cause i figure an 06 kona stinky would be worth more then a 180 dollars. here's a link to the add
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/776840853.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i mean the fork is worth more and that frame is worth even more. whats the worst that can happen?

Ride the dream
    Looks almost definately stolen.
    Perhaps not a scam, but its still not something you wanna touch regardless

The worst that can happen is you buy it, and end up losing it because it gets taken by the cops (and rightly so) as a stolen item....

Or at best, you bought a stolen bike... helped a thief out and got someones ride ultracheap... not good, or fair.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i was thinking it might be stolen but im still going to email him and see if he will send me more pics and if he still has the receipt for it since its only 2 years old or at least a bill for having it tuned that is at least a year old

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    if it is legit, then i would wonder about how badly it has been abused

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i was wondering that too but if its not stolen and in decent working condition i would be will to pay for some repairs and even if the frame is cracked at least i would have some good starter parts for a new bike since i really don't have anything like that at the moment.

Ride the dream
    In truth, asking for more details will probably get you no reply. Its almost certainly stolen.

If it was abused so badly that it was only worth that, then there should be some visible signs - to warrent price being THAT low, there are not. If it was oringal owner, and the frame was trashed - either parts would be used to build something else, or sold as parts... It would be worth considerably more than $180 in either case.

mtbr member
    Maybe they missed adding a zero on the end?