1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Do Suntour Coil Forks Squeak?

I have a very intermittent, high pitched squeak or squeal coming from the front of my bike somewhere. I hear it most often on the trail, but hear it on occasion on the road. It's so intermittent that it is hard to pinpoint, but does seem to happen on things that make the fork displace. On the road it is less frequent and the fork is locked out.

Am I right in blaming the fork? Pretty certain it isnt wheel related as it isn't regular. It doesn't seem to be coming from crank or bottom bracket either.

Just kind of curious.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also check if the rotor is a little bent and is hitting the pads.
    When you hear on trail lightly apply the brake to see any effect.
    Bounce on the front to see anything more from the fork.
    I wouldn't expect a finely engineered product with military grade tolerances between the stanchions and the plastic bushings would allow a tiny particle of dusk to intrude. Possibly wiping the stanchions and lubing with silicone spray lube would help flush the areas clean.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I really don't think it's brake, it's too intermittent.

I'm thinking either fork or headset, possibly front hub? I really think its the fork though, it is most prevalent during high frequency low amplitude rocky type stuff.