1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

do most people ride 30+ psi?

I ride a tallboy LTC with tubeless tires pressured around 20-25. Above that and I start to feel the rocks and roots and have more trouble climbing ledges.

there have been multiple situations lately where I have run into people running 30 or even 40psi. What I was wondering is do you just get used to whatever PSI you are running? for example climbing ledges or going through rock gardens at 30 or even 40 psi would probably make me dab. But if I had started out riding at that PSI would my technique have adjusted so it just wouldnt have mattered? Ive been riding for about 9 months now.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I ride around 50-60psi...so don't listen to a word I write.

OTB Pro

RE: do most people ride 30+ psi?

On dry hardpack trails, higher PSI makes sense but on anything rocky/rooty I wouldn't want to be above 30 PSI.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    With tubes I always ran closer to 40psi so that I would not get pinch flats.
    Now that I am tubeless I run 28psi and have an enormous amount of grip.
    Just running them tubeless will give you a much better feel to the tire at the same pressure.

mtbr member
    Run 30f/40r tubed most of the time, may go a bit lower for mud/wet rides, when tubeless use the same psi's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i run my tubes at 45psi...I've tried every type of tubeless made and cant find one I like....a couple of the things I find weird about running low pressures is....

the tires flex bad when cornering fast and leaning hard....totally unacceptable.
    the tires "burp" if I land a big jump just a little off..again..because of low tire pressures....totally unacceptable.

after much experimentation with tubeless wheels, I ddint find any benefits for traction or time savings of pumping/fixing flats either and I had to pump my tires every time I rode...wayy more than with tubes.

with tubes I need the higher pressures for pinchflats also..a bit softer for muddy days....I let my suspension do the damping...but then again...I tend to like trails most others dont...a bit softer for muddy days.

mtbr member
    I run tubes at 25-30psi, and tubeless from 16-25 psi. Most people run way too much air pressure.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have ArchEx rims with a small lip/hook. I run 29x2.25 Nobby Nic/ Racing R at 15-18 front and 20-22 rear with 26x2.1-5 tubes. You have to inflate them a little on installation to start the stretch. No rim strikes. No pinch flats and good traction.

the pressures you can get away with before you have issues with squirmy tires and burps will depend a lot on tire choice, rim width, tire and rim combo, your weight, the way you ride, and on and on. so pressure choice will be intensely personal.

I find that between 25-30psi is the optimal choice for me, depending on what I'm riding. I'll go harder if the trails are hardpack, or softer if there's a lot of roots and rocks. Below 25psi, and I will begin to have issues. UST tires have been more problem-free for me than converted regular tires. Those have been a royal PITA. I think my next time around, I will try some tubeless ready tires, because UST are just damn expensive.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Comparing tire pressure without talking about tire size and rider weight is pretty pointless.

Heavier riders will need more pressure for a similar ride and pinch-flat protection.

Smaller tires need more pressure to avoid pinch flats.

So, a 150 lb guy running a 2.4 in the rear might get away with 25 psi, whereas a 220 lb dude running a 2.0 might need 40 psi.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Rogue Exterminator
    I run tubes at around 30 psi and sometimes a little less without any issues.
    The terrain I ride is rocky, rooty, and technical.
    (DuPont, Bent Creek, Pisgah and other parts of Western NC)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    meant to include my weight but forgot, 165. But riders my size are riding 40 psi. Some tubeless.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'm a lightweight guy (155lbs) and if I run more than 25psi I start bouncing off things.

Rogue Exterminator
    177 lbs butt ass naked.
    With clothes, hydration pack, snacks, sports drink, and other gear, I am easily 190+
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Swalbe recommends no more than 35 PSI for tubeless set up. I generally run 27 up front and 30 in back. I have a tube in the rear (trail repair after a burp) right now that's set at 35... It drives me crazy. Going back to tubeless this weekend.

165lbs, ride in SoCal

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Comparing tire pressure without talking about tire size and rider weight is pretty pointless.
    ironically i find it all pointless, yet I endulge.....as another twist would be the riders speed over the terrain and their ability/skillset....sooo many variables.....but makes for interesting disscussions.

and I fall into the lightweight catagory...and love real rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: do most people ride 30+ psi?

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I run tubes at around 30 psi and sometimes a little less without any issues.
    The terrain I ride is rocky, rooty, and technical.
    (DuPont, Bent Creek, Pisgah and other parts of Western NC)
    I ride at bent creek about every other day and surrounding areas as well very often. I have always rode right at 36lbs and had served me well so far.

Sent from the 3rd Galaxy

banned
    Aug 2012
    220lbs, and running 10psi f & 11psi rear on 4x26, and 85psi f/r on 700c x 28

I did run 25psi on 29 x 2.2 before converting it to street, and got a pinch flat first time out, started running 35psi and it seemed OK.

All you can really do is adjust psi to suit you and your riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    depends on rider weight, rims, and tires.

i'm 145lb, large volume tires, i run about 18psi. barely enough to not get rim strikes on rock corners. I started experimenting with psi, the faster I could go.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 06-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    meant to include my weight but forgot, 165. But riders my size are riding 40 psi. Some tubeless.
    160lbs TallBoyC Ikon 2.2 w/ tubes. 27f/30r.

That siad, running at a high enough pressure that the tire no longer deforms significantly can also be a viable solution, though it works best with larger tread tires and bikes with longer travel. You'll generaly roll faster, and high speed cornering and transitions will be crisper. Since the tire is no longer an active part of the suspension, overall control is slightly better since tires have lousy damping characteristics.

For me, the loss of ultimate traction and the feeling of "bouncing off" rocks and roots keeps me at lower pressures.

Don't run tubeless over ~35psi though. You'll be kilt.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

T.W.O.
    It depends on how you ride not how much psi. All being equal of course. I use to ride light and passive on the trail I was at about 24-26 psi, anything more I felt like I was bouncing around. Then my riding style change to more aggressive I learn pumping and loading the tires more during braking and cornering, the low psi now feel very squishy so I started adding the psi til the feeling went away. I ended up adding about 6-8 psi and it feels great now. I can still plenty of traction, and gives without any squeamishness.

mtbr member
    Reference "Sticky" under "Wheels and Tires". Many pages of opinions.