1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Do LBS typically install upgrades?

I'm thinking about upgrading parts of my bike already. I was wondering will a local bike shop install upgraded parts for you or do they typically only do sales and repairs? I haven't given them a call about it as I just bought the bike from them 2 months ago. I just think I should have gotten a nicer model than this to start with.

What could go wrong ...
    sure they will install parts on your bike ... for a fee
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    sure they will install parts on your bike ... for a fee
    Well I figured that, just wondered if it was commonplace.

mtbr member
    I had my LBS install new shifters, and new brakes on my bike. I did order the parts through them as well though. It was only $10 to install them if I ordered the parts from them. Worked out evenly if I had bought them online cheaper and paid full install price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah I dunno, starting to think I should just already sell this thing even though it's still under warranty. Who knows what they will honor if I get them to install new parts. I just really want to start hitting up the trails and I'm feeling that this isn't the setup I want to be doing it with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think if you're not happy with your bike and can afford to move into something that you feel is more you, then definitely go for it. Otherwise every time you ride that will be something you think about and will most likely put doubt in your skills and what not. What do you not like about your current bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by csledd281 View Post
    I think if you're not happy with your bike and can afford to move into something that you feel is more you, then definitely go for it. Otherwise every time you ride that will be something you think about and will most likely put doubt in your skills and what not. What do you not like about your current bike?
    The SR Suntour shocks suck, the lockout no longer works and if it's enabled causes lots of squeaking. I mean its fine when it's off but for just riding around town which I do on a daily basis, it's tough to gain speed. Also the seatpost never stays up, I had the LBS readjust the thing the other week and it stays better than it did but I still notice it dropping during a ride. Wouldn't be a huge problem if the LBS was local but there is none in a short distance, this one's like in a 20-30 minute drive. I mean, it's me to blame anyways, haven't owned a bike in so long I was excited to ride something, anything, but when it gets down to it I'm not quite sure this is something I'd feel satisfied with riding 10 mile trails once and a while. Always dreamed of having something with disc brakes too but ended up with the old school ones.

In reality, I'd be happier just swapping out the shocks but I lack the expertice to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by narcispy View Post
    The SR Suntour shocks suck, the lockout no longer works and if it's enabled causes lots of squeaking. I mean its fine when it's off but for just riding around town which I do on a daily basis, it's tough to gain speed. Also the seatpost never stays up, I had the LBS readjust the thing the other week and it stays better than it did but I still notice it dropping during a ride. Wouldn't be a huge problem if the LBS was local but there is none in a short distance, this one's like in a 20-30 minute drive. I mean, it's me to blame anyways, haven't owned a bike in so long I was excited to ride something, anything, but when it gets down to it I'm not quite sure this is something I'd feel satisfied with riding 10 mile trails once and a while. Always dreamed of having something with disc brakes too but ended up with the old school ones.

In reality, I'd be happier just swapping out the shocks but I lack the expertice to do it.
    I agree with you about the SR Suntour shocks. There was a recall on them recently and my bike was included. I was hoping the replacement Suntour shocks would be better, but it was the same thing.

If you're happy with your bike and feel that replacing the shocks would be the solution then go for it man

nOOb
    Try calling your LBS and asking them their policy on upgrading your bike. You just bought from them a few months ago. It' pretty common for riders to want to upgrade their bikes. They should have 25% to 35% buy back policy. I think in the long run you would be happier with a bike you enjoy riding, than trying to make a bike you dont, enjoyable. Just my opinion.
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cool, I'll give them a ring. I don't think I saw many other ones there I was interested in. Might try looking at the 29er Jamis they had.

mtbr member
    What kind of bike did you buy? if you don't mind me asking

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    What kind of bike did you buy? if you don't mind me asking
    Orbea Dakar, not a half bad beginner bike but I ride hard. I don't think they had any other 26's and that's what I was looking for. There's a picture of it in my gallery

duh
    Are the shocks the only thing you don't like about the bike? If that is all it is then why not just upgrade the shocks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Are the shocks the only thing you don't like about the bike? If that is all it is then why not just upgrade the shocks
    Yeah I mean I'd be fine with that if they can do it. I wish it had disc brakes (and it has spots for them), the frame is really nice, but it's not a requirement at this point. Only other thing I might look at is new grips as I'm starting to get some wrist pain even wearing gloves.

mtbr member
    My LBS installs a lot of parts. I've had them do a couple things when I don't have the time, (or when my shop flooded last year!) I've found building a good relationship with my LBS has paid me back 10 fold. I just call in, tell them what I need, make an appointment, and take my parts in. It helps to tag your parts with your name and phone number just in case. They should also do that, but it doesn't hurt to put a tag on both your frame and whatever other parts you are taking in.

mtbr member
    Ride it til you break it

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Ride it til you break it
    I'm about to break it myself if I have to deal with the squeaking anymore

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I dont know what LBS you bought from but a lot of them are very reasonable. I have spoken to a bunch and I am bout to purchase a airborne or Bamf and they are even willing to work on those. Talk with them you might find they are easier to work with than you think

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah seemed like nice people to me, just a drive to get there, can only go on the weekends

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well good luck to you bro keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most new forks don't have brake bosses to mount canilever brakes to. So to put a new fork on that bike would mean a disc brake and a wheel that will accept a rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    my LBS has been great!!!!

i've had my bike for something like two months and i manage to get into the shop almost once a week.... sometimes more.

thus far all of my parts have been purchased from and installed by the LBS. i'm able to buy the parts and have them installed for about the price of buying them on-line. sure a few small things can be found on-line a bit cheaper but not enough for me to mess with it.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Most new forks don't have brake bosses to mount canilever brakes to. So to put a new fork on that bike would mean a disc brake and a wheel that will accept a rotor.
    ^^^...and that right there is why upgrading a bike can get A LOT more expensive than buying a bike with the desired components initially.

Based on the fact that you just bought this bike 2 months ago I would suggest that you start with having the bike shop fix what is wrong. Although Suntour is not that great, it should function and should be under warranty after only 2 months. So, get it fixed/replaced. Similarly, a seat clamp that isn't holding should be resolved to your satisfaction. Both of these should not cost you anything.

Then spend some time riding this bike and think about what you really want. Start doing some math. I think you'll find that a nice shock, brake upgrade, wheels, controls will soon add up to more than a new bike. Also, use that time to start saving.

I'm just a little concerned that if you jumped in too quickly 2 months ago, you may be about to do it again. Take your time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    ^^^...and that right there is why upgrading a bike can get A LOT more expensive than buying a bike with the desired components initially.

Based on the fact that you just bought this bike 2 months ago I would suggest that you start with having the bike shop fix what is wrong. Although Suntour is not that great, it should function and should be under warranty after only 2 months. So, get it fixed/replaced. Similarly, a seat clamp that isn't holding should be resolved to your satisfaction. Both of these should not cost you anything.

Then spend some time riding this bike and think about what you really want. Start doing some math. I think you'll find that a nice shock, brake upgrade, wheels, controls will soon add up to more than a new bike. Also, use that time to start saving.

I'm just a little concerned that if you jumped in too quickly 2 months ago, you may be about to do it again. Take your time.
    I've already taken it to them twice in 2 months. Getting it fixed/replaced seems dumb as the shock is just going to have the same issue again in another 2 months, it's a common issue, look at the reviews on the SR Suntours on this site. Yes, I understand what you are saying about another shock might need disc brakes. I'm just gonna have to see what they can say, overall I'm just not happy with it right now. I do spent a lot of time in the seat, I ride it every single day pretty much. I just want something that lasts that I can enjoy like the rest of you guys do and right now it's not doing it for me.

mtbr member
    Hello there,

Sorry to read about your issues with your SR Suntour fork. I am not 100% certain what is specifically wrong with your fork according to your description but we would like to help. Please bring the bicycle back to the dealer in order for them to assist you. If they need help from us we are just a call away.

Also, SR Suntour North America is doing a soft launch on a consumer loyalty upgrade program. We currently will allow any consumer to upgrade his or her SR Suntour fork that they currently own for a higher performing model that we have in stock . Forks start at $150.00 for a Raidon Air fork with hydraulic lock-out and rebound. Normally this fork would sell for $325. This program can be done direct or preferably hrough your local bike shop.

Best regards,
    Nick

360-737-6450
    Last edited by SRvancouver13; 08-15-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast