1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Disk off center

mtbr member

Disk off center

I was installing new pads on the new wheels I have mavic crossed. I have deore zr brakes. I noticed that the disc is not center in the opening. It doesn't hit but I'm assuming this is going to cause lopsided brake wear. How do fix this, does it need to be shimmed?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

What day are we riding?
    Did the wheel get seated all the way in the dropouts? Pics might help the explanation.

mtbr member
    Well when it was fully seated that's when the disc wasn't centered. I offset it slightly without the wheel being cocked to much that it wasn't pointing straight and that fixed it. So what does that mean? Something else is wrong?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    GT FORCE 1.0

Suck it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have noticed the disc position between brake pads can vary with how much I turned (or not) the QR nut.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    Well when it was fully seated that's when the disc wasn't centered. I offset it slightly without the wheel being cocked to much that it wasn't pointing straight and that fixed it. So what does that mean? Something else is wrong?
    You should have the axle fully seated in the drop out.
    Some hubs are slightly different with their specs, one brand of hub might give you rub and another brand won't.
    I'd say your brake calipers need realigning.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I have noticed the disc position between brake pads can vary with how much I turned (or not) the QR nut.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Does it very when the axle is completely seated or when you have offset it?

Yes, that's fonetic
    There's play in the mounting holes on the caliper. Loosen the caliper only enough so you can move it side to side, apply the brake, and then tighten (while holding the brake on). If your pistons are both working and not sticking this should center the caliper on the rotor.