1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

disc wheels with v brakes?

I won a set of mavic wheels for disc brakes. My bike has v brakes though. Would it be possible to use the wheels on my bike or should I just sell them?

What could go wrong ...
    disc wheels typically dont have the braking surface for rim brakes ... what model are the rims or can you post a pic
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They are crossmax disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Better yet, if your bike has mounts, pick up a set of mechanical disc calipers and rotors and make the move to discs. The most expensive part (the wheels) is already taken care of, so no time like the present.

T.W.O.
    I don't think crossmax disc wheel has the rim brake surface. The more entry level like crosstrail(I think) can be used on both disc and rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My bike is to old for disc brakes.

mtbr member
    -keep the rims.
    -dont use them with V-brakes they are great rims and expensive rims
    -buy a new frame
    -buy disc brakes
    and now you have a great bike

Happy Trails

You can set up a non-disc frame with disc brakes. The front is easy, the back requires some zip ties. I removed the caliper brakes from a Spesh Stumpjumper and ended up chopping off the rear brake pins from the frame with a hacksaw .... I'll try to get some pics up but it worked great.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Zip tes?
    WTF?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Quote Originally Posted by tater9.75 View Post
    My bike is to old for disc brakes.
    Then the wheels are probably worth more than your current bike. Buy a new bike (a less expensive but more modern one with discs would be fine) and put your wheels on it.

Or, sell the wheels AND your current bike and buy something nicer overall, but understand the wheels won't be as nice.

Those wheels could be a big part of the foundation of a nice ride. Half assing rim brakes onto them would ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    You can set up a non-disc frame with disc brakes. The front is easy, the back requires some zip ties. I removed the caliper brakes from a Spesh Stumpjumper and ended up chopping off the rear brake pins from the frame with a hacksaw .... I'll try to get some pics up but it worked great.
    That is really bad advice. Neg rep coming when I get to my computer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not exactly safe or wise to do. If the bike was not designed for disc brakes, don't use them. Bad advice to give.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Zip ties? yea, show us some pics...

mtbr member
    Visit link below. These products work great. Better than the old AtoZ products.
    They have one for a front fork as well.
    For the price it is a bargain.

Disc Brake Bracket Frame Adaptor Bicycle 3 Sizes | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That is a VERY dangerous idea. It could work just fine, but you are adding a force to a frame that it isn't designed to handle at all. If you're gentle on the brakes or the frame is decently overbuilt, it probably would be just fine. But if it isn't, you risk buckling a seat stay, or even worse a fork. disc brakes should never be added to a frame that wasn't designed with them in mind.

mtbr member
    Adding discs brakes to frames without a seat stay addition is nothing new.
    The diameter of my 1999 Rockhoppers seat stay is larger than my 2004 Stumpys seat stay.
    I still run a AtoZ bracket on a Rockhopper. Been on there for six years without a hiccup.
    The only problem i have with it is wheel removal on occasion. The bracket will get out of alignment.
    Solid as a rock.
    No way possible braking will buckle any aluminum or steel front fork. Not possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why in the world would you say not possible? I understand that most things are sufficiently overbuilt, especially at the entry level area. But as a mechanical engineer, I simply would not intentionally load something in a way entirely counter to what it was designed for. Everything is designed for a certain load with a certain factor of safety. Size of the tube is also only part of the equation. I'm not saying you can't do it and that it won't work, I'm saying it isn't safe, and there's no was I'd do it. But I also ride my bikes very agressively. It's your decision, don't get me wrong, but there's no way you will convince me that it is OK to make a bike less safe for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Well considering that both the seat stay and the fork are both designed to withstand the load of a bike braking with
    v brakes. I cannot see the disc brake putting that much more load on a stay and fork even if the force resides to one side instead of dual force.
    As a student of civil engineering i am taking my chances.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    And that's perfectly fair, you're sufficently aware of the risks, and it is your decision. The differences are like you mentioned, all of the load is on one side instead of split between the two, but location matters as well. You may note that many disc frames have a gusset bridging the seat and chain stays. It isn't just there for show, it's to resist the bending moment being applied to the stay at that point. Just to be clear, I think the chances of failure are very slim, so it is a question of how much risk do you find acceptable. I just can't recommend it to someone.

As far as what to recommend to the OP, definitely don't use V brakes on those wheels. As far as to what to do with them, it is all a question of budget. A new bike would be great, but lots of us can't afford that.

mtbr member
    I agree with the gusset. As far as failure to frame I have ever rarely seen it.
    Not to say that it cannot happen, but it it is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by gmmeyerIII View Post
    I agree with the gusset. As far as failure to frame I have ever rarely seen it.
    Not to say that it cannot happen, but it it is rare.
    Maybe not failure, but flex. Especially with forks. Sure, it's possible to weld a disc tab onto an old steel road fork, but that fork is gonna flex like hell because it's not designed with those forces in mind. But swapping forks is easy compared to putting disc brakes on the rear end of a bike not designed for disc.

Sure, there have been a lot of adapters over the years that do so by spreading the forces to locations on the bike designed to take stress (rear rack mount, canti post). Brake therapy adapters, Specialized Sharkfin adapters. Not sure which A2Z adapter you use, but it's probably not sold anymore like the other two I mentioned. Those are different than what was described - hacking off another frame's disc tabs and zip tying them onto the frame. The zip ties are the clear weak point, not to mention that method isn't doing near as good a job of distributing the forces of the disc caliper. In THAT application, I do worry about catastrophic failure of the stay, but probably not before a few zip ties break...and I wouldn't want to be around for that one, either.

mtbr member
    This is the adapter that i have been using for years.
    Skewer goes through the middle of item and other end
    rests on seat stay. They forces work together instead of putting all pressure on seat stay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disc wheels with v brakes?-a2z.jpg  

mtbr member
    Also i agree with the fact no zip ties should be used to hold your brakes together.
    That is for sure a death trap waiting to happen.

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I don't think crossmax disc wheel has the rim brake surface. The more entry level like crosstrail(I think) can be used on both disc and rims.
    i know the Crossride doesn't have a rim brake surface...got'em on my Mamba (and soon for the Fuel).
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 29er
    2013 Trek Mamba 29er
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail 29er (hybrid)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: disc wheels with v brakes?

I think what he meant by zip ties is having to zip tie the cables to the chain stay. I dont even think it would be possible to zip tie brakes and have them even work at all.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast