1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well Disc Breaks Squeeking

My disc brakes have started making a strange squeaking noises when I brake, at first it was only the rear, 10 mins later both!

I have been doing some harsh breaking today but my brakes are only a couple of months old...

my breaks are avid elixir 5 hydraulic.

After a quick search I came across someone advising it could be brake callipers mis-aligned, but didn't explain any further.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

I eat cats
    Squealing is common, especially if you did not bed your brakes in properly and I also see you have Avids which are known to squeal regardless. Try a product called Squeal Out, it is a compound that you put on and re-bed your brakes with. Worked for me!

mtbr member
    brake, not break!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SLX are the cost effective choice. Here's a front for $60.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake w/ Adapter

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks but not looking to replace my brakes after only 2 months old, just looking to fix the problem.

mtbr member
    there are several reasons for disc brake squeal/squeak/warble/etc. I could list them all, but there are dozens of threads and websites dedicated to this question that you can find on your own. a few minutes of reading will probably answer your question. I probably sound like a jerk, but your question and been asked, discussed, and thoroughly answered dozens of times. i have some suggestions, but I would be wasting my time typing something that has already been discussed ad nauseam. please take the time to do a little research.

start in the "brake time" forum. here's a good thread to start- The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

Fat-tired Roadie
    Did they get wet? Are they still performing well?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nope they didn't get wet, and yes they are performing fine. The noise sounds as though the discs are wobbly or uneven but they are also fine

mtbr member
    Does the brake make a humming squeaky sound? Did you lube your bike up lately or touch the rotors with your bare hand? There are so many reasons why a bike's brake will squeak, but getting lube or any kind of oil, even from your fingers, on the rotors is pretty common and that will contaminate your pads. You can replace your pads, but before you do that, give your rotors a thorough cleaning with IPA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes I lubed the chain and few other parts. Probably touched the disc as well. I'll give them a clean later with alcohol wipes, can I clean the pads with anything or will they have to be replaced now?

Thanks for the relies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    give your rotors a thorough cleaning with IPA.
    I prefer Dogfish Head 120 minute, but Sierra Nevada works well too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO7TY View Post
    Yes I lubed the chain and few other parts. Probably touched the disc as well. I'll give them a clean later with alcohol wipes, can I clean the pads with anything or will they have to be replaced now?

Thanks for the relies
    I usually like to just replace them. I keep a few extra sets around, but I've heard of people using super fine sandpaper to clean the pads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks a lot, probably just buy some new but for now I'll give the rotors a good clean

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I prefer Dogfish Head 120 minute, but Sierra Nevada works well too.
    Yeah, I thought that was a rather unique use for an India Pale Ale. They don't sell Dogfish Head where I live, though. . .sucks!
    Don't listen to me. I'm too new to have an opinion yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I usually like to just replace them. I keep a few extra sets around, but I've heard of people using super fine sandpaper to clean the pads.
    Rubbing alcohol on a wash cloth "flossed" between the pads will get a lot of brake dust and contaminates off. That, and making sure they are properly aligned should help.
    Here's "Wolverine" explaining how it's done on Youtube. Adjusting Disc Brake Calipers - YouTube

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Disc Breaks Squeeking

Nope they didn't get wet, and yes they are performing fine. The noise sounds as though the discs are wobbly or uneven but they are also fine
    Disc brakes sometimes make noise. So do Vs and cantilevers. I wouldn't spend money or much time on it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    SLX are the cost effective choice. Here's a front for $60.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 Disc Brake w/ Adapter
    Thanks but not looking to replace my brakes after only 2 months old, just looking to fix the problem.
    For Avids that is most likely the fix.

What type of bike? Search the Specialized forum, you'll find tons of threads about the Avids and noisy brakes, most of the time the fix is another brand.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    If a good cleaning and it still squeaks, maybe swapping out the pads ($15 a set) and see if it that helps. Possibly switch from the metallic to an organic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    try checking the alignment. I had a similar problem with shimano hydraulic disk brakes. Finally, it turned out brake pads were not aligned properly. turn the tyre and observe if the pads are touching rotor.

Merendon Junkie
    I love my disc breaks. I turn up the volume on my disc player and take a nice loud break from the ol routine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Heat the pads after cleaning on a frying pan(yes fry the pads)
    . It'll burn up the oil that may have stuck to your pads... it works

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    fixing the alignment issue of the brake pads solved the squealing issue for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not had chance to have a look yet, will most likely give a few of these suggestions a go tomorrow

I eat cats
    Try the squeal out I mentioned in my post above.. My Maguras were gobbling like turkeys after a month on my most recent bike so I ordered some and followed the directions. For almost a year now my brakes have hardly made a peep. Avids may be notorious for the gobble but its worth a shot. A tiny bit goes a long way so order the smallest size.

Squeal Out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast