1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Get your popcorn ready!
    Jun 2008

Disc brakse losing their stop power (if thats what u call lol)

Hey, I just got a new specialized disc 2008. I picked it up in May (around the 15th or so), and now we are nearing the end of June. My father just bought a shwin hybrid bike for him to ride around in the park with and I tried it out and I went flying!!! his pad brakes were wayyy more responsive than my disc brakes. I am trying to remember how responsive they were when I first bought the bike but sadly I cannot remember. I know i eventually have to get the bike readjusted b/c I know my cables will stretch out and all, do u think that time has come to get that done? I have to squeeze pretty hard to stop at stop signs when I'm only going around 10mph on a flat surface, and I def have to squeeze harder than I used to. My brakes also stopped making that buzzing noise when I used them (I think they had to break in). If anybody can help that would awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you cleaned the disks with rubbing alcohol? Sometimes they get grease/chain lube on them. It may take a few cleanings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    clean the rotor like the above said .. and check out the pads ... if they are to thin ... replace em .. if they look glazed over ... sand them a bit (on a smooth flat surface) ... and / or bake them in an oven for a little bit to remove any other oils and such that may be in them ...

i think there may be a chemical for prepping them .. but i normally just clean mine up ... and if i know they got any kind of lube on em and such ... bake them to get it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If they are mechanical brakes, they likely have just one piston that moves, and the opposing pad is stationary. As they wear, the stationary pad gets further and further away from the disc, causing the disc to bend and loose grip. It was simple to adjust the stationary pad one my MX- 2s, once I realized what was happening, and they performed better than when new.

mtbr member
    Yea i agree with rlouder

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Another with rlouder. Once properly adjusted yours should be able to throw you even further then that schwinn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldOne
    Another with rlouder. Once properly adjusted yours should be able to throw you even further then that schwinn.
    What Schwinn are you talking about?