Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Disc Brakes / SRAM vs. Shimano

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bikefun 
#1 ·
I have the Mx2's. Anyone have info on the Mx4's yet? Or did anyone ever ride with the Mx3's? Is there that big of a difference from the Mx2's to the Mx4's? Is it worth the extra money? On that note, what do you think of the Tektro IO Mechanical in comparison to the Hayes?

What about the Shimano?

Now of course the Avid's BB's rock (some day).

Next question:
Never tried the SRAM X9, how does this compare to Shimano's? I'm seeing more and more mountain bikes with SRAM this year? Why?

Thanks for the confusion...

#5 ·
To the best of my knowledge, the MX1 (very poor brake) was the first Hayes mechanical. The MX2 was considered an improvement, but when it comes to mechanical discs there's probably only one name worth considering; Avid. The BB5 and BB7 are basically identical performance-wise, the letter having improved adjustability. Certainly worth waiting and saving for, in my opinion.

#6 ·
One more thought

In adition to everyone elses comment, I'll address the Tektro I/O comparison

:ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa: :ciappa:

Stay away from the Tektros.

Bob

#7 ·
Very cool, thanks!!! Interesting about the SRAM vs. Shimano, especially because there's not much info on comparing them. Not even the bike magazines. It would be cool if someone did a comparison. My only experience is the SRAM3.0 on my wife's bike, not bad, does what it needs to. I think it's probably better than the Tourney for the same reason of smooth shifting, integrates well with the shifters. What about the Hayes Mx3 or 4's, are they a cheaper alternative? In building a friends bike, we learned there is a considerable price difference from the 2's to the 4's, but I don't see that much of a mechanical difference that warrants the price difference. Am I missing something? or is this more of a marketing game? Any help is appreciated....

PS: Thanks Bob for confirming the Tektro's, I hear a lot of noise on these. Thanks for the heads-up on the Avid's.

#8 ·
bikefun said:
Very cool, thanks!!! Interesting about the SRAM vs. Shimano, especially because there's not much info on comparing them. Not even the bike magazines. It would be cool if someone did a comparison. My only experience is the SRAM3.0 on my wife's bike, not bad, does what it needs to. I think it's probably better than the Tourney for the same reason of smooth shifting, integrates well with the shifters. What about the Hayes Mx3 or 4's, are they a cheaper alternative? In building a friends bike, we learned there is a considerable price difference from the 2's to the 4's, but I don't see that much of a mechanical difference that warrants the price difference. Am I missing something? or is this more of a marketing game? Any help is appreciated....

PS: Thanks Bob for confirming the Tektro's, I hear a lot of noise on these. Thanks for the heads-up on the Avid's.
Hayes mechanicals are not the best.

The lower number is better. Example, the 1 is better than the 2. I thought the 4s were oem only.

I used the 1s for years. They are OK. The return spring is pretty forceful, and hence it requires more effort to pull the lever then my BB7s with the adjustable spring. The adjustment knob seized on me, forcing me to replace the pads a little pre maturely, since i could not dial the pad in. I wonder if they solved that problem since then.

A friend of mine had 2s come stock on his bike, and they would need frequent adjustment, because they just kept rubbing.

I suggest the avid bb5s if you can't handle the cost of the 7s. Anything below that is not really that good, though some people are happy with them, depending on the application.

#9 ·
I'd stay away from the BB5's as they take special pads. The BB7 shares pads with the rest of the Avid line and will be much easier to get spares in a pinch. From all reports the BB5's work just fine. Love my BB7's coupled to the Avid Ultimate levers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.