1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: disc brakes

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007

disc brakes

I recently bought the 2007 GT Zaskar Expert hardtail mountain bike. This bike did not come with disc brakes but with the avid single digit 5 rim brakes.

I want to upgrade to disc brakes. I have been doing some research however I am not sure what really I am looking for. Please let me know what some great disc brakes are, what other parts I need to get and the amount of maintenance needed. Thanks

I post too much.
    For their sheer simplicity, I would look into Avid BB7's for mechanical disc brakes, they work very well and are very easy to work with.

Be sure your hubs can take disc brakes, because as far as I can tell from the pictures on GT's website, they can't. This means you'll have to get a new wheelset or keep your current rims and have them rebuilt on another hub. Your frame and fork are disc compatible so you're fine there.

Disc brakes are not necessarily better, and I'd take a good v-brake over a crappy disc any day. If you ride in dry conditions, disc brakes are almost overkill. If you ride in a lot of mud/water, then disc brakes will brake much better under all conditions. Just something to think about.

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    Thank you

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportjunkie81
    Thank you
    I meant that your hubs cannot take disc brakes, I'm sorry about the confusion, some time I type too fast.

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    So if I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes, the parts that I would need would be:
    Front hub, rear hub that are disc compatible
    Brake levers
    Rear disc brake
    Front disc brake

Are there any other parts that I need to upgrade?

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportjunkie81
    So if I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes, the parts that I would need would be:
    Front hub, rear hub that are disc compatible
    Brake levers
    Rear disc brake
    Front disc brake

Are there any other parts that I need to upgrade?
    Everything seems fine, are you thinking of going for a hydraulic or a mechanical disc brake?

You have a choice of buying a brand new wheelset or get your new hubs relaced onto your current rims. I'd go for whichever is cheaper/practical for you.

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    I am not really sure about the difference between hydraulic and mechanical, however Shimano makes a hydraulic and I usually tend to go with them. The Shimano LX seems reasonable and not too expensive.

There's no app for this.

cheapest and best

can you return the Expert and upgrade to the Expert Disc? It lists for $300 more than the Expert. That will be your least cost route.

Plan B would be to hit up Pricepoint or similar and order a cheapo set of disc wheels and some Avid mechanical disc brakes. Try to sell your current wheels and brakes wherever it's easiest for you to do so.

Hope this all works out for you, and for more disc/VBrake answers, read the disc brake FAQ over in the BRAKES forum.

Cheers, Jim

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    I got the Expert for $999 (on sale) and the Expert Disc on the GT website lists for $1499.99 so I saved there.

Thanks for the advice Jim, I'll look into the avids.

mtbr member
    Disc brakes are sick, but it stinks that you need new hubs. If you can afford it, hydraulic is much more precise, but I run Avid BB5s and they're great. BB7s are easier to adjust, that's the only difference. Basically, you don't need to squeeze the lever as hard, there's tons of power, and you won't suddenly lock a wheel because the pads are so precise.

I use one finger on the brake lever, and it's more than enough to throw me over the handlebars or lock the back wheel.