1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

disc brake upgrade? $$$

so i may have found a bike that i want for a bout 200. it is a 2007 schwinn rocket. it looks nice except it doesnot have disc brakes. how much would it cost to upgrade to disc brakes? and what would i need to do so? i would like to get some basic hydro brakes. what would all this run me? and how hard would it be for a noob to do this at home? i am not sure if the rear triangle or fork have tabs for disc brakes either.

mtbr member
    My bike still uses XT V-brakes and I see no need to upgrade to discs. Going to discs would require frame and fork with mounts for calipers and new wheel hubs if your current hubs do not have mounts for discs.

This can cost you alot more than $200.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A frame and fork with mounts ,the brakes ,wheels with hubs that accept rotors ,levers for the hydros. The cheepest you do it for with just wheels and brakes is about 300$.

mtbr member
    do the wheels already have a six-bolt interface for mounting a rotor? do the frame and fork have tabs for attaching calipers?

the 2007 Schwinn Rocket looks like a pretty flimsy bike to tell you the truth. i think you could do much better with a used hard tail for that price.

mtbr member
    If you're really lusting for disc brakes you're better off passing on that bike and getting one that already has them. I just swapped out my mechanical discs on one bike for hydros, and it cost $500. Upgrading a rim brake equipped bike, assuming you have caliper mounts on the frame and fork already could double that.