1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

disc brake problem

hi

i have a small problem with my disc brakes. Whenever i ride my bike, the disc brakes keep touching the brake pads and keep making the sound of it scraping against it. What do i have to do? any adjustments?

the brake is fairly new due to a new bike...the disc brakes are Hayes HFX 9 XC

Thanks

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    First, make sure the wheel axle is all the way into the dropouts on both sides. If so
    loosen the bolts holding the brake caliper to the frame/fork. apply brake. while appling brake, tighten bolts. that should do it, if not you may need shims or washers to align caliper .

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006

Do the pads always scrape the rotor,

as the rotor may be bent a litte (doesn't seem to be too uncommon). More than likely you just need to re-install the wheel like it was suggested earlier.

If you find that the rotor is bent, or think it may be bent, there is a link in the brake section of this forum that walks you through the steps of correcting it. edit: http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

I had a bent rotor and it took about 10 minutes to fix.

...the wave won't brek
    I had a bent rotor, got as much of the bend out as I could and then I put the bike up in the stand and slowly rotated the wheel around untill I found where the rotor was rubbing at that point I aligned the caliper ashas been discribed above and the rub whent away.

I find that I need to re-aligne my disc breaks every time I take the wheels off...

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just purchased a bike and I had a major bout with my disk brakes. My rear brake was riding so I was constantly riding against the break no matter how I adjusted it. I took it to the LBS many times and finally they replaced it with a new one.

Anyways the point I am getting at is now my brake does the same thing you described. The mechanic at my LBS said that this was normal and it would go aways after a few rides. I do not know if he is right or not. But it is annoying. What do you guys think is he right or should I do some adjusting? I have put about 10 miles on it since it has not improved. Sorry not trying to steel the thread just thought it was pertinent.

...Under_Score

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    no its not normal
    ask to take any bike on the floor for a test ride and see if the brakes rub, they wont and he's wrong
    or if they wont let you test ride just lift one up and spin the wheel

There's no app for this.

It's covered in the Disc brake FAQ

in the "brakes" forum. Worth a read. Jim