1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    On the XTs. That sounds great....but I barely got the bike wife approved, and she wouldn't understand why I was replacing brand new brakes if you know what I mean.
    Let her ride the bike and feel the vibration. She will immediately agree that they are unsafe and require replacement.

Disclaimer: they're probably not unsafe, but, from the vibration i've felt... it can remove confidence on a technical downhill pretty quickly with the shuddering.

mtbr member
    is the Salas HT referring to the full suspension HorseThief? If so, I'm guessing one of your pivot bearings is shot or possibly a loose mounting bolt.,
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I had some thumping also. Seemed like the most obvious cause was some unwanted contact with the "arms" of the rotor so first thing was to realign the caliper. I could see one pad was contacting first and warping the rotor about .01+" before the other pad contacted. It took about a dozen attempts to get the caliper positioned so there was absolutely no detectable rotor movement, either visual or by feel, to either side when I pressed the brake. The thumping disappeared instantly and so far has not returned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think I am seeing the same thing. I think the pads are hitting the rotor arms...

I have tried many times to center the caliper. Sometimes the thumping gets worse, and other times it cures it...temporarily. I guess I should keep trying. Since making this adjustment changes the problem, it must be what is causing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    is the Salas HT referring to the full suspension HorseThief? If so, I'm guessing one of your pivot bearings is shot or possibly a loose mounting bolt.,
    Yes, a horsethief. Bike is new, so I doubt it is shot, but I will check the mounting bolt.

Thanks

mtbr member
    bearings can fail even if they are new due to poor manufacturing. you never know! just another possibility to look at
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2