1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Dirty bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Dirty bikes?

I recently got into trail riding.
    Now, I have only had a mtb for about six months.. I have been keeping it clean and babying it..

But, now that ive found trails I think those days are over.. the bike is filthy.

my question is.. do you guys clean your bikes after every ride or just leave it dirty?

I would assume I clean the chain off and im good to go yeah? I dont want to wash it every few days lol!

My little friends
    I hose it off after every ride to remove any grit that may be on it, but that's it. It will only be clean while on the back of my Jeep until I get to the trail again anyway!

Picture Unrelated
    I've washed my bike 3 times since it was new, which is about once a year. I'll spray some simple green on the frame now and again and wipe it down with a rag, but water is not metal's friend so I use it sparingly. I keep the drivetrain as clean as feasible and the pivots and suspension cleaned off and lubricated. Other than that, I've seen more damage from cleaning than I have from not cleaning so I'll just keep on my merry way. I suppose one important thing to note is that it is very dry here, if I were bashing mud puddles all day long like I used to in the East then I would wash more frequently (and did).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    For drivetrain components I use automotive brake cleaner and wipe down.

I have yet to wash my bike with a hose because I am weary about it, but I may try the Simple Green and a little water from the hose since the bike is getting awfully dirty.

undercover brother
    I clean the drivetrain, pedals(clipless), and fork stanchions every ride. Other than that I may wiped down the frame and components every now and then, or do a pretty thorough cleaning if I ride in a lot of mud. The rest of the bike usually stays dirty, as she seems to like to stay that way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks for the good advice. i was about to ask the same question..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cisc View Post
    I recently got into trail riding.
    Now, I have only had a mtb for about six months.. I have been keeping it clean and babying it..

But, now that ive found trails I think those days are over.. the bike is filthy.

my question is.. do you guys clean your bikes after every ride or just leave it dirty?

I would assume I clean the chain off and im good to go yeah? I dont want to wash it every few days lol!
    overcleaning can help water enter bearings and cause failure...

I wash my bike frequently, with a bucket of soapy water....

When I wash it I inspect it for damge and wear....

If I think the bike needs some work, the first thing I do is wash it....

Right now it has been two weeks and the pivot bearings are creaking, and the chain needs replacing.....

Time for a wash

MTB B'dos
    I clean my bikes whenever they are dirty enough to need a good cleaning, other than that a little dose with some water to wash off the excess dirt and a wipe of the stanchions on the fork and shock to make sure they're clean and some lube on the chain if it needs it and I'm good to go. You're new to this, so it's expected to like to keep your new "toy" relatively clean

When I do clean em good, I use a bucket of water, a smaller bucket with soapy water, a big car wheel brush and then tooth brush and bottle brush to get into the hard to reach places, rinse with clean water, bounce it about to shake off excess water, then dry off with a chamois and lube the chain and anywhere else that needs it. Little secret if you haven't already found this out - a SRAM powerlink is the greatest invention since the wheel Makes cleaning the chain a breeze.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    If you want to clean the frame and other hard parts, try spraying some car finish or Pledge onto a towel and give it a quick wipe. It takes five minutes.

Like this:
    http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ailerreg-16oz/

For most cleaning, you want to apply the cleaner, solvent, etc to the towel, not the bike to avoid overspray. And takes the wheels and chain off if you're going to give it a thorough cleaning. It's so much easier.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cisc View Post

I would assume I clean the chain off and im good to go yeah?
    That's my approach.I wipe down the chain now and then -- not every ride. Other cleaning is done as-needed. I'm rarely riding through mud, so it's really just trail dust that gets kicked up as I ride that I have to worry about.

no trees are safe
    I usually just wipe off the dust, clean the chain from time to time, polish the fork. I use watter rarely, only when the bike is covered with mud (which extremely sticky here) I don't want to get it in the bottom bracket cause I dont have the tools for its maintenance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Its pretty wet where i am this time of year, after each ride i give it a quick hit with the hose to get any mud off key components ( driveline ect.) and whipe down the forks, then lube the chain, easy as

mtbr member
    I don't know of any car detailers who advertise "waterless car wash". Rubbing dry dirt on the frame is like sandpaper. Water and suds create a slippery surface to soften the damage the dirt would cause while removing it.

Cleaning a bike with water shouldn't be any harder on the components than riding in the rain, mud, or through water crossings. As long as the bike is maintained, the components will outlast your ability to fight off upgraditis. Keep it clean and maintained and it will keep you riding many miles.

T.W.O.
    Dirty frame is welcome just as long as the drivetrain components are clean and operating smoothly.

I make a habit to clean my bikes at least once a quarter, for the purpose of inspecting the bike for any potential fractures. Other than that I don't really care much about it. I actually think that dusty bikes tell more story than shinny ones.

Just Ride
    I'll let the dirt pile up on it for awhile before I finally take a hose to it. And even then its sparingly. Just lightly with a hose while I knock off the mud and muck that has built up.

I will however remove the chain and give the cassette and chainring a through once over every few rides.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ive been hosing it off every couple trips, depending on how muddy it gets. Until last week, mud really hasn't been an issue much.