1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Dirt in the downtube

So I picked up a used Jamis Dakar xc comp the other day. Overall the bike is in pretty good shape, and I got it cheap. However....I didn't notice until I got it home and flipped it over, there is a bit dirt rattling around in the downtube. The bottle cage bolts on the underside were removed, so I assume mud sprayed its way into it from there. So my question is.... is the tube open to either the bottom bracket or headseat so I can clean it out, or is it just going to be stuck there? If it is open to either, I am sure it isn't doing those parts any good. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Take out the BB and fork and use an air compressor to blow air in one hole. It should blow everything out the other hole.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Take out the BB and fork and use an air compressor to blow air in one hole. It should blow everything out the other hole.
    Sweet!!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Make sure to put some bolts in the frame to keep dirt out

Your Best Friend

Re: Dirt in the downtube

If that doesn't work, you may have to pull the fork out of the frame. There should be a big opening where the downtube joins the headtube. Anything in there will come out easily through there.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides