1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7

    Direct-to-Consumer Brands

    Long time lurker first time thread creator. I'm not looking to start a LBS or BD flame war, just looking for some info. I've tried searching for other direct-to-consumer bike brands on here but keep getting bogged down in bikesdirect threads. Plus my google searches are coming up as misses. I was wondering if anyone knew of other mail order/internet type bicycle manufacturers? Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GOTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    468
    http://www.fezzari.com/

    After Bikes Direct, Fezzari is the other one that seems to be talked about the most around here. I've never seen one but they do have a very nice website.
    He who dares....wins!

  3. #3
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,191
    Ibex bicycles is another one.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

  4. #4
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Price Point's house brand Sette.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ldollard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    80
    Those fezzari bikes look really good. Is that a good brand?

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,241
    Velocite does a carbon hardtail.
    Airborne.
    On-one, although I'm not sure if they do completes via the web or just frames.

    It really depends what you're going for, and what you're ready to spend.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,068
    I looked at the components on those sites (not Airborne), and honestly, I think you get more bike for what you pay for with Bikes Direct for bikes selling under $500. On the other hand, I think the frame geometry of the sites mentioned above might be a little better - looks like they have longer top tubes, and also offer bikes in an even sizes (16, 18, 20, 22 inch), which is a huge factor to consider if you are in between the 15, 17, 19, and 21 inch sizes that Bikes Direct offers.
    Last edited by getagrip; 07-20-2011 at 07:56 PM.

  8. #8
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,241
    With the exception of Voodoos, the idea that even-sized frames are between odd-sized frames isn't really useful.

    Unless the company offering even-sized frames cloned the geometry of the company offering odd-sized frames, they don't really fit between each other - it's just two different size runs, like Misses and Juniors or something.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,068
    I have to disagree with you there. I generally notice a big difference between 17" and 18" frames. I know it all varies by manufacturer and the other measurements of the bike geometry, but I feel a lot more comfortable on 18" frames...just something I've observed. Depending on a person's height, leg length, and reach, there are frames that are going to fit them better than others - sometimes its an odd number size, and sometimes its an even number size.
    Last edited by getagrip; 07-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. I generally notice a big difference between 17" and 18" frames. I know it all varies by manufacturer and the other measurements of the bike geometry, but I feel a lot more comfortable on 18" frames...just something I've observed. Depending on a person's height, leg length, and reach, there are frames that are going to fit them better than others - sometimes its an odd number size, and sometimes its an even number size.
    ^ ^ ^ This.

    I'm in the same boat. With companies that size in odd increments, I often feel like I'm in-between sizes. Not so with companies that size in even increments. I have several 17" frames just hanging on hooks in the basement. But I ride all my 18" frames on a regular basis. There difference is there, and my body notices.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,850
    BTW, to answer the OP's question, the reborn Airborne is a brand that impresses me:

    http://www.airbornebicycles.com/

    I especially like the 29er Goblin. It's a nicely spec'd bike for the money.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GOTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by ldollard View Post
    Those fezzari bikes look really good. Is that a good brand?

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    You can check the reviews using the link at the top of the page.
    He who dares....wins!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    +1 for fezzari

    My buddy who got me started biking has a fezzari. I've ridden it once or twice, and it is great. Granted, their facility is only 30 minutes from me, but they've done free repairs ( not just basic tune up stuff) caused by him wrecking. They even tuned up my bike for free once while I was waiting for him, and it is a diamondback.

    Not to be expected obviously, but the guys who run the place are great, friendly and really want you to have a bike that fits, works well and you enjoy.

    The build quality is great IMO, but then again I'm still 'newer'. But for my next bike I'll definetly be looking at them.

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,718
    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeKiYay View Post
    Long time lurker first time thread creator. I'm not looking to start a LBS or BD flame war, just looking for some info. I've tried searching for other direct-to-consumer bike brands on here but keep getting bogged down in bikesdirect threads. Plus my google searches are coming up as misses. I was wondering if anyone knew of other mail order/internet type bicycle manufacturers? Thanks
    Titus and On-One.

    Titus is frames only at this point.

    On-One is frames to complete bikes, plus components. We will be shipping On-One from Portland in about two months.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47
    +1 for Sette at Price Point. The components on those bikes are amazing. I have a few friends that have them and they are great. On the Fezzari XT level you are still getting a Dart fork, Alex wheels, Deore level shifters and only the RD is XT for $1,600 bike. The Sette Carbon has a SLX bike with SLX shifter, Cranks, FD and FD, Mavic Crossride wheels, Elixer Brakes and a Fox Fork for $1,600. Seems like a better deal to me.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    BTW, to answer the OP's question, the reborn Airborne is a brand that impresses me:

    http://www.airbornebicycles.com/

    I especially like the 29er Goblin. It's a nicely spec'd bike for the money.
    Whoohoo!!!! Go HUFFY!!!!!
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    Whoohoo!!!! Go HUFFY!!!!!
    LOL! Hey, I'm rebuilding a Huffy this evening. Below are some "before" shots.

    It's my third Huffy rebuild this month. It scares me how good I'm getting at overhauling them.

    Name:  Huffy01.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  52.2 KB

    Name:  Huffy02.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  47.3 KB

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ldollard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbtoyou View Post
    +1 for fezzari

    My buddy who got me started biking has a fezzari. I've ridden it once or twice, and it is great. Granted, their facility is only 30 minutes from me, but they've done free repairs ( not just basic tune up stuff) caused by him wrecking. They even tuned up my bike for free once while I was waiting for him, and it is a diamondback.

    Not to be expected obviously, but the guys who run the place are great, friendly and really want you to have a bike that fits, works well and you enjoy.

    The build quality is great IMO, but then again I'm still 'newer'. But for my next bike I'll definetly be looking at them.
    They seem to have really good bikes, i'm seriously considering getting one.

  19. #19
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,241
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    On-One is frames to complete bikes, plus components. We will be shipping On-One from Portland in about two months.
    Wow... Unless US pricing becomes totally sucky in the near future, that looks like a carbon race hardtail for less than my hookups, such as they are, can get me. Probably even if I have to find a weird crank for it...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  20. #20
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Airborne is just an offshoot of huffy, most of their bikes are iron horse designs. If you only knew how many bikes labeled mongoose or schwinn were actually made by pacific cycles, you'd puke. This is huffys' way of selling good tough bikes to a croud that wouldn't be cought dead on a huffy. And at a killer price for the spec you get. $1500 for a full on dh rig, where else can you get that deal?
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Airborne is just an offshoot of huffy, most of their bikes are iron horse designs.
    I'm pretty sure that Airborne's newer bikes (e.g., the Goblin, their dirt-jump bike, their cyclocross bike) are their own designs.

  22. #22
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Airborne's newer bikes (e.g., the Goblin, their dirt-jump bike, their cyclocross bike) are their own designs.
    Yes those are their design. And if the company keeps doing well, I'm sure there will be more to come.
    The rebadged IH are great tried and true bikes. I don't own one, but a taka or beefed up marauder will be in my stable soon.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Similar Threads

  1. Bikes Direct Bikes Vs. Big Name Brands. Bike Comparisons Only.
    By firemark in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 06:21 AM
  2. Consumer censure
    By SABER_MTB in forum Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
  3. Difference b/t Ultimate Pro and Consumer?
    By New2Mountain6 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •