1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Dilemma: Upgrade or Buy new?

Hello All,

I am new to both this forum and to the mountain biking scene and I am loving it so far. So earlier this year I bought my first bike: a Jamis Exile Sport. So far it has been a good bike but I have been doing 10+ mile trails 5 days a week since I bought it and I am improving every day.

I feel I am getting to the point where a new fork and some hydrolic brakes would benefit my ride times significatly. Also wanted to get a 2x10 gear set, which I think would really help me out.

So heres the million dollar question: Do I upgrade the Jamis or buy a new bike? The bike I have in mind is the Specailized Carve. I really just wonder if it is worth upgrading the Jamis frame when I could get the specialized with everything I want for the same price as the upgrades.

What do you guys think??

I like pie.
    Many factors to consider. Is the frame of good quality and does it fit well. Do you like the way the bike feels and handles?

And cost.

How does the Carve feel? How does it ride?

If you like the Jamis and you find the Carve to be an unknown, I'd lean towards upgrading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Many factors to consider. Is the frame of good quality and does it fit well. Do you like the way the bike feels and handles?

And cost.

How does the Carve feel? How does it ride?

If you like the Jamis and you find the Carve to be an unknown, I'd lean towards upgrading.

For upgrades I was thinking a Rock shox Reba and Hope htdo brakes which alone will be a pretty penny. The Carve comes with the fork, but has Avid brakes I believe.

The frame is what I am really unsure of. It does seem heavier then other 17" 29er bikes. I am gonna go ride a Carve and go from there most likly.