1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Differences in cog teeth

So my original rear cassette is sized at 11 - 32 teeth. The front crank set is 22/32/44 teeth. I'm curious what would happen if I changed the rear cassette to be 11 - 34t? Does that mean the chain will no longer line up with the crank?

Any good reference links out there drawing out how teeth sizes work?

My little friends
    It's all good; as long as you stick with whatever number of rear gears you had, (ie. 9 speed or 8 speed), the drivetrain will work just fine. Going from a 32 to a 34 will just give you a lower granny gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Could you elaborate a bit on the difference between 32 and 34? Does the higher number make it easier? (I'm guessing the higher number means a slightly bigger diameter?)

My little friends
    You are correct; the lower gear ratio comes from the larger diameter of the gear. The tooth spacing will always be the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great. I just learned something new. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Depending on how many teeth you add, you also may need to add links to your chain as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Going from a 32 to a 34T granny gear should be fine, but double check the clearance between your rear derailleur jockey wheel so that when its on the bigger granny gear it wouldn't pinch the chain between the wheel and cog. If it does, you may need a longer derailleur. Unlikely but it does kind of limit how large you can go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great pointers, thanks! Seem like common sense only after you point it out.

My little friends
    Quote Originally Posted by cmags View Post
    Going from a 32 to a 34T granny gear should be fine, but double check the clearance between your rear derailleur jockey wheel so that when its on the bigger granny gear it wouldn't pinch the chain between the wheel and cog. If it does, you may need a longer derailleur. Unlikely but it does kind of limit how large you can go.
    The B adjustment screw usually can take care of these clearance issues.