1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Differences between models of shifters and derailleur's?

What benefits do you get from having the more expensive, higher spec gear shifting equipment? I currently have SRAM X7 shifters, a Deore LX front derailleur and a X9 on the back.

What differences would I notice and what benefits would I find if I upgraded to SRAM X9 all round?

Cheers

AZ
    banned
    IMHO , you would notice it if you upgraded shifters , and you would likely notice very little improvement at that . Shifters are the "brain" that maks it all work , having the best "brain" posssible makes everything else work a bit better . The F.D. really dosent pick up that much performance , they do get lighter . Shifters would net you the most improvement .

mtbr member
    I'd save the money. For most of us the differences are beyond noticeable. So I would only upgrade once the current components need to be replaced.

With a family of 4 bikers and being a bike nut I do have experience with about all models Shimano and SRAM offer below XTR and X0. So far I've never experienced a significant (if any) difference from Deore to LX to XT, or from X7 to X9.

What makes a huge difference is to keep the chain lubricated, replaced when worn (stretched), the cable/housing renewed when worn and the derailleurs properly adjusted. I venture that many that see a big improvement upgrading to a new shifter/derailleur actually get that improvement from the setup/adjustment and the new housing/cable an d chain. In other words: upgrade include the long overdue maintenance. And the maintenance makes the real difference.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I actually didn't think there was much difference in shifters until I changed my XT's out for XTR's. There's a very noticeable difference in them. They also have a feature that let's you dump down two gears at a time which I find both very useful and very easy to accidently do at the same time.