mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Differences between models of shifters and derailleur's?

What benefits do you get from having the more expensive, higher spec gear shifting equipment? I currently have SRAM X7 shifters, a Deore LX front derailleur and a X9 on the back.

What differences would I notice and what benefits would I find if I upgraded to SRAM X9 all round?

Cheers

AZ
    banned
    IMHO , you would notice it if you upgraded shifters , and you would likely notice very little improvement at that . Shifters are the "brain" that maks it all work , having the best "brain" posssible makes everything else work a bit better . The F.D. really dosent pick up that much performance , they do get lighter . Shifters would net you the most improvement .

mtbr member
    I'd save the money. For most of us the differences are beyond noticeable. So I would only upgrade once the current components need to be replaced.

With a family of 4 bikers and being a bike nut I do have experience with about all models Shimano and SRAM offer below XTR and X0. So far I've never experienced a significant (if any) difference from Deore to LX to XT, or from X7 to X9.

What makes a huge difference is to keep the chain lubricated, replaced when worn (stretched), the cable/housing renewed when worn and the derailleurs properly adjusted. I venture that many that see a big improvement upgrading to a new shifter/derailleur actually get that improvement from the setup/adjustment and the new housing/cable an d chain. In other words: upgrade include the long overdue maintenance. And the maintenance makes the real difference.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I actually didn't think there was much difference in shifters until I changed my XT's out for XTR's. There's a very noticeable difference in them. They also have a feature that let's you dump down two gears at a time which I find both very useful and very easy to accidently do at the same time.