1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Difference in bikes 2008 Trek 6500 slr or 2009 Rockhopper Comp

Ok, so I found good deals on both these bikes in my size. I rode the rockkhopper and it's comfortable, but i havent riddenthe 6500.

which bike is better, has better value, better components, lighter, etc? the rockhopper is $520 and pretty brand new and tuned and the 6500 SLR will most likely be a little cheaper.

BUT PRICE ASIDE, which bike is better?? please i need opinions I will use this for trails and occasional street use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    anyone?

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    For the type of riding you are describing, either bike should be fine. Just pick the one that you feel the most comfortable on. Nothing is worse than paying big money for something that doesn't fit right. From personal experience I own a Rockhopper and I think it is a great XC bike; but when you are pay for the bike you are really getting a good frame with less than spectacular components.

Don

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    does the 6500 have better components? i think the SLR frame is light on the 6500 as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Trek specs Is this right? I couldn't find a 6500 SLR.

Rockhopper specs

I would say everything on the Trek is a little better except the brakes. Avid BB5/BB7 are supposed to be the best mechanical discs, so the Rockhopper is better there. Oh, and the Tora is definitely a step up from the Dart 3, though I recall reading about the 302 leaking fluid.

If they both fit you well and are in the same condition, I would go for the Trek.

mtbr member
    i think the Trek is a little better and thats the one i would go with. Make sure you ride both and see which one works for you the best
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what makes it better? components? which components?

what about weight? it will probably be about the same?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dimyself
    what makes it better? components? which components?

what about weight? it will probably be about the same?
    First off, it retailed at $220 more. Generally, it takes about $200 when buying a retail bike to get to the next level of components.

For instance, at $500 most bikes will have Tektro or Hayes discs, a Dart 1/Suntour/etc. fork, the cheapest name brand derailleurs (Alivio) and levers...and so on.

Look at the Rockhopper at $700, everything is a little better than the $500 bike.

Now look at the Trek's equipment at $989- it has a real fork (by real I mean it's not just a spring in a tube- it has more adjustments than just preload, 32mm stanchions, etc), Deore components and hubs, better bottom bracket and crankset, it's a 27spd (vs 24 on the Rockhoppers).

They will weigh about the same at 29-31 pounds. If you want a sub-25 pound hardtail you have to spend $1500'ish and get a titanium or carbon frame, and of course all the components will be lighter (wheels, fork, etc.).

I would suggest you study up on components before buying a bike. If they're used test everything and check all the welds on the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'm sorry i'm just a newb with this stuff. so even the 2008 trek 6500 has better stuff than the 09 rh comp?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    YES, the 08 Trek has better components then the 09 rockhopper does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperIN
    YES, the 08 Trek has better components then the 09 rockhopper does.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    alright thanks guys...the 6500 is undoubtedly the winner! we'll see what happens from here