1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    FNG
    Aug 2008

Did I get ripped off?

I bought a 2002 Specialized HR comp off craigslist for $300

Here is why I think I got ripped. The guy advertised the bike as being a year old and I for some reason took his word for it. The bike is in good shape so I didn't really question it. Once I got it home and did a little research I found out it was an 02. I am very new to this so I don't know a whole lot about bikes and components. I have however found out that the front suspension is widely hated. here is a link to the exact model bike I got.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...005&spid=20843

If I got ripped it is my own fault, but I am just looking for some feedback from people who know more about this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yes, you got super owned. thats a 100 dollar bike. you probably could have grabbed a brand new hardrock for 300.

mtbr member
    Brand new hardrocks go for like 350-450 at my shop depending on model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thats a huge bummer.... live and learn i guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You overpaid that's for sure,but it's not a total loss.The 08's,while having newer parts they are still not going to be much better then what you have and it's a decent frame so upgrade parts as needed to newer ones which is what you would probably do with a new one anyways.

FNG
    Aug 2008
    yeah it is a bummer but I have nobody to blame but myself. Had the bike actually have been an 07 like the guy said I wouldn't feel so bad. Funny thing is that in my day job I don't trust a soul, but for some reason I trusted this dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz1028
    yeah it is a bummer but I have nobody to blame but myself. Had the bike actually have been an 07 like the guy said I wouldn't feel so bad. Funny thing is that in my day job I don't trust a soul, but for some reason I trusted this dude.

Don't be so hard on yourself,I made a mistake on my first real bike also,Just be thankful that it was a relatively inexpensive lesson in the grand scheme of things and you learned a valuable lesson.As mentioned,it's a nice frame and I actually like the way it looks more then the newer ones plus you probably would have had to upgrade the parts soon enough anyways.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    dont be so quick to judge
    maybe the bike was a leftover or maybe the guy only rode it for a year
    if its in good shape $300 isnt a lot of money for a mtn bike
    and you'll definately get $300 worth of fun out of it

semantic blockage
    Now forget about it and ride the hell out of it - get more than your moneys-worth

FNG
    Aug 2008
    10-4 thanks!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    very true... it seems somewhat common for smaller shops out in the middle of nowhere to have low/mid end bikes from a few years ago still on the floor (the place i got mine from back in '95 still had a few of the same model into the 2k's).... so it's possible that he only got it a year or 2 ago... or could be he only rode it for a year as mentioned...

that being said... it doesn't look to be a bad bike... and will be up to the task of some real fun dirt ridin go have some fun
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Know about Motobecane bikes and bikesdirect.com . Check your Google search for recalls on bikes and parts before you buy. Refuse delivery on new merchandise if the carton was previously opened when you get it.Get opinions from the guys on the forums before you buy stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Know about Motobecane bikes and bikesdirect.com . Check your Google search for recalls on bikes and parts before you buy. Refuse delivery on new merchandise if the carton was previously opened when you get it.Get opinions from the guys on the forums before you buy stuff.
    im lost...

FNG
    Aug 2008
    Well I don't know what that one dude was talking about but I got out on a trail today for the first time. Man, I thought I was in decent shape until this morning. That little trail whipped my butt! It was however a bunch of fun.

mtbr member
    Call that SOB and take it out of his a$$ and demand a refund,,,

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I had thought about it but I should have done better research and looked into it more. The dude flat out ripped me off but I did buy it so I just have to take it as a lesson learned. I like the bike, had I paid 200 I would be totally happy. I will just upgrade it as needed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    Now forget about it and ride the hell out of it - get more than your moneys-worth
    i couldn't have said it better myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lesson learned, but really its just an extra $100. And you still have a Rockhopper which is a solid bike. Provided its in good shape, you're not that bad off. Few upgrades/replacements you should have a really nice bike.

Stop worryin about it and get out and ride! Enjoy the bike

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I have ridden it almost every day since I got it. Hope to get out to a bigger trail next week. I only took it on a half mile trail today, but it was quite a learning experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz1028
    I have ridden it almost every day since I got it. Hope to get out to a bigger trail next week. I only took it on a half mile trail today, but it was quite a learning experience.

Glad to hear you're having fun with it,that's the most important thing.

As mentioned already by me and others,you ended up with a nice bike even if it was a tad more then it should have been.Believe me,if you really get into the sport the amount of money the seller swindled you out of will seem like a drop in the bucket comparatively,at least it would in my case .

Graphic Designer
    There is a 07 Rockhopper here on Craigslist for like 350. Disc and all. Sorry you got took, I'd ride by his house...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm always wary of buying Craigslist bikes. A good numbr of them are HOT, especially the great bargins. My neighbor had his bike stolen, and wanted to replace it. He found the same model on CL, and ... well you can guess the end of this story. He bought his old bike back for cheap.

BTW, my GF's daughter lost her bike while in college classes here in town. She got hers back on CL too. Except she had the receipt with the serial # and had filed a police report. The guy was busted and did 21 days in county.

I only mention this to be extra carfull we don't feed the stolen bike market inadvertantly our selves.

-David

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I may actually be selling the bike this weekend. I will of course do it honestly unlike the guy I bought it from. The best thing to do with any of your property is to engrave a distinguishing number on it. We always suggest people put their drivers license number as it is specific to you.