icalebkim

Did I get a good deal

My Intro...

I've recently gotten into mountain biking (two years ago when I was 13) and have had two bikes. The first was a 2004/5 Apollo Evolution which was seven sizes too big (Apollo is a reputable Aussie brand). After that I got a 22 year old Marin Bear Valley from the dump for 20 bucks. It could hardly ride. I took it apart, lubed everything, and put it back together again. I have used it for about six months now. I want something more. I am a kind of rough bike person, someone who likes going on the black diamond trails. My Bear Valley was an XC race (I'm not sure about the race bit) and is not suited for the downhills as much as I want it to. So I had $700 to spend, and I looked on ebay.

Now, as I live in Australia, it is hard to find a bike. We've only got 20,000,000 people in our country; only a fraction like mountain biking, and only a fraction of that liked to sell their decent mountain bike. A fraction of the fraction of the fraction sold a bike that was in my price range. I came across a three year old Jamis Parker 3. 750. I bought it. It was used three times, and in good condition. I am still waiting to get it posted. Did I get a good deal? In my opinion, I did. Australian MSRP is heaps more than US MSRP, so the Parker 3 (MSRP 2775) would have costed like 3500 here. And I got 750 for it. Did I get a good deal? What do you think?

Link
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jamis-200...#ht_926wt_1139

Photos

That's not my bike, but same frame, model, year, and size. Very slightly different components like bars.

FRAME: 7005 aluminum all tubes, over-sized cartridge bearing pivots,fully-active mp3 platform design, 100mm travel Float R rear shock w/10mm hardware, replaceable derailleur hanger
    FORK: Rock Shox Lyric U-Turn, 35mm stanchcions, Mission Control damping,magnesium lowers, Maxle 20mm axle, 115-160mm travel.
    HEADSET: Aheadset, Zero-Stack, 1 1/8 inch
    WHEELSET: WTB Dual Duty FR eyeletted rims, WTB front w/ 20mm thru-axle& Shimano M475 rear disc hubs, WTB 14g stainless steel spokes
    TIRES: Kenda Nevegal 26x2.35, stick-e
    DERAILLEURS: Shimano Deore XT Shadow, rear only
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore Rapidfire, right side only
    CHAIN: KMC Z-9000
    FREEWHEEL: SRAM Powerglide 950, 9-speed, 11-32
    CRANKSET: FSA MOTO X 36T, 170mm, E13 LG1 chain guide
    BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA integrated
    PEDALS: Crank Brothers 5050 platform
    BRAKESET: Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc brakes, V7 front and V6rear rotors
    HANDLEBAR: Syncros Bulk 6061 riser, 710mm
    STEM: Syncros FR 50, 31.8 x 12 deg rise X 50mm
    GRIPS: WTB Weirwolf, dual DNA compound
    SEATPOST: Syncros Derived 2-piece 350mm OS 31.6mm
    SADDLE: WTB speed V
    COLORS Bone
    WEIGHT 35.00 lbs.
    Last edited by icalebkim; 07-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.

T.W.O
    Yeah man, if you like it, I'd say its more than worth 750. It's kind of heavy, but it'll be fun to rip around your trails with for sure. When you buy used bikes you just want to make sure there isn't cracks in the welding, oil leaking, terrible wear, etc. If it was in good shape and everything worked you did good. This is what a few of us are talking about saying buy a used FS and you'll get way more out of it, and you nailed it.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    The fork alone is $750. Although parker is more DJ bike or 4x but it's very good, while shopping for my DJ bike I rode a few and I love it, very easy to pop the front wheel and corner is awesome. You've got yourself a good deal there.

icalebkim
    Really? Thanks.
    How much would you expect it to be worth at that age and use?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim View Post
    Really? Thanks.
    How much would you expect it to be worth at that age and use?
    At least $775 No with your components line up probably 1k. I've seen many Jamis with pikes, or fox for around your price but not with lyrik.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks like a sweet deal mate.
    As you bought it on ebay I assume you used paypal?
    Just asking 'cause i would hate to think you could get ripped off - it can happen and it pays to do all you can to protect yourself

mtbr member
    yeah let us know when you get it delivered so we can all sleep at night although, i'd like to think the aussies are more trust worthy than most

icalebkim
    You'd like to think that, I'd like to think that, and I think so, at least I hope.
    Unfortunately the seller's got no rep (ebay) so I am a bit worried. Hopefully it comes!
    I did pay through paypal.

At least $775 No with your components line up probably 1k. I've seen many Jamis with pikes, or fox for around your price but not with lyrik.
    So a lyrik is better, or a pike/fox is better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

sweet

nice ride!!!!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim View Post
    You'd like to think that, I'd like to think that, and I think so, at least I hope.
    Unfortunately the seller's got no rep (ebay) so I am a bit worried. Hopefully it comes!
    I did pay through paypal.

So a lyrik is better, or a pike/fox is better?
    Lyrik of course you know that

icalebkim
    Phew, just checking.