1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Diamondback Response -- Sport?

I'm looking at the Response and the Response Sport and was wondering if the component set on the Sport is worth an extra $100? The differences are the Sport has disc brakes, 120mm travel in the front shock compared to 100mm, Shimano Altus front derailleur, and Shimano SL-MC40 shifters. After test riding both bikes, they seemed comparable. No noticeable difference in shifting but the disc brakes were better.

I'm going to be doing some single track on the weekends and some fire road riding during my commute. I'm leaning toward the lower end model without the disc brakes and using the $100 on a helmet and a different derailleur or some pedals.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did I post this in the wrong forum?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Personally I'd go with the response and not the sport.They both have entry level components so you may as well save the $100 and replace components as they wear out or break.I would think for what you're doing an 100mm fork would be fine and the disc breaks on the sport are not that great anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Another suggestion would be to get Avid BB-7 disc brakes if you want discs.You can get a set of them for about $100 and from what I hear are very nice.

Tossin the salad.
    Nothing wrong w/ the VeeBrakes IMHO and 100mm fork. I had the 06 response w/ the 80mm Spinner fork couple years back and it was fine and held up. great entry level bike. I then sold it got the gary fisher marlin w/ 100mm fork. had better geometry frame style, but it also cost more. For what you probably plan to ride it and if your stuck on the response, I say save the $100. I only upgrade to disc if its hydraulic type. I hated the hayes mechanical type brakes