1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Diamondback Response

I am looking for expert advise. I used to ride BMX years ago. Got my kids BMX bikes and was showing them tricks at the local skate park that has bowls and ramps. I decided (At the urging of my kids) that I should get my own bike to ride with them and have fun . I decided that a BMX bike was just to small and squirrely under me so I went out looking for a DJ / Park MTB. I found a Diamondback Response at Dick Sporting Goods. See Picture.
    http://img407.imageshack.us/i/9e01b0...2934597860.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/i/0d4fdd...2934598000.jpg

SR Suntour XCT VS2
    Aluminum Frame
    Weinmenn XC 260 DW Rims

Here is the geometery
    Seat Tube Length = 16"
    Standover Height = 28"
    Top Tube = 22"
    Head Tube = 120 mm / 4.72"
    Head angle 70 degrees
    Seat angle 73
    Wheel Base 1048 mm / 41.26"
    Chainstay 424 mm / 16.69"
    Fork offset 40 mm
    BB Height 308 mm / 12.13"
    Stem Length 50 mm / 1.97"
    Handle bar width 670 mm / 26.38"
    Crank Length 300 mm / 11.81"

My question is, will this be ok to toodle around in the skate park with the kids or will I end up destroying the bike or myself. Some kid at Dick's Sporting Goods was saying that I was going to break my neck on this thing in a skate park, and that got my wife all worried and I want to make sure I get something that I can ride anywhere with the kids and feels right underneath me. Any ellaboration is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Egarver; 12-27-2010 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    That was my brothers entry level trail bike, I don't think it would be a good park/jump bike honestly.
    You need something with no gears, only a brake on the rear, and more stout for your less than perfect landings.
    You'd be replacing the crank and rims after you ride it a bit unless you weigh under 150#.
    There have been some good deals on chainlove.com on jump park bikes recently, would be more suited to what you want, check hucknroll.com and your LBS for more on it but I think the response is not a good option.
    Just because the seats been lowered to look like it thats not a park bike
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Here is a thread addressing exactly your question, with more of the jump park crowd chiming in on it as well...
    Thoughts on using a small XC hardtail frame to build a DJ/urban bike?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the info. Kind of thought it was to good to be true

My spelling is atroshus
    I have a diamondback response. About the first three foot drop I took it down, the rear wheel turned into a taco. I got the rim replaced and we still have the bike for a beater. Component-wise, It's pretty much a hunk of $hit, but the frame is tough as nails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pretty much what I've been dealing with. I'm trying to take it easy.. kinda. I had to have the rims trued twice last year. I know I'm gonna do something I know I shouldn't and seriously **** the wheels up. At least it will give me an excuse to upgrade

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I took the bike back. Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully I can figure out a way of getting this one now with no dealers in my area.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/dirt-street/havoc/

My spelling is atroshus
    I loaned my response to my brother for a ride sunday and the front fork froze and wouldn't move no matter which way you turned the lockout..

Justa Dude
    Have you considered a 24" BMX bike? They aren't so teenie and are built for "bigger kids (adults)" I see a lot of Dads riding them in BMX races in the over the hill class. There are some pretty sweet rides out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have not ruled out the 24 yet. Standing 6 foot 200 lbs, I like the stability of the MTB under me. Not going to go crazy any more being older and qite less flexible but I still want something that can handle me.

Justa Dude
    Yes, I could see where your size could limit your choices.
    Just a side note, the Diamondback Response is an absolute boat anchor. A buddy had one and we jokingly called it his "monster truck". Someone said it before, they do have a VERY strong frame, but they are too damn heavy for the use you want it for. I play around on the dirt tracks on a Gary Fisher HKEK. It's a good semi-light bike, but a little on the pricy side for a beat around bike. I am a stout 200 lb 5' 8" rider. I'm not a clydesdale....I consider it to be more like a grass-fed Palomino

T.W.O
    It's a mountain bike, the frame is a beast, but that is where it ends. Main uses of it are aggressive XC at best. I have one and I found this out first hand.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    I have one which was an entry-level bike before I got my GF. It has basic components, and after riding it for almost 2 years I had managed to break the cheap plastic pedals. Now it's used by friends/family whenever they want to join me for a ride. I'm 6'2", and riding the 20" frame I feel like a gargoyle perched on a ledge.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDeLarge
    I have one which was an entry-level bike before I got my GF. It has basic components, and after riding it for almost 2 years I had managed to break the cheap plastic pedals. Now it's used by friends/family whenever they want to join me for a ride. I'm 6'2", and riding the 20" frame I feel like a gargoyle perched on a ledge.
    Yeah the geo isn't quite there with diamondback. Lol, it's a great entry level model which should last a few seasons until you can save up for your next bike when you get better. Other than that, there isn't much to be said about it.

mtbr member
    I have an '07 Response Comp that has served me now for almost 4 years. The comp came with better components (alloy pedals, BB5 disc, X7, etc) and so far I have only had to upgrade the pedals, handlebars, stem and chain. The geometry is unusual, which is why I bought it. I am 5'8" with long legs and short torso, so it fits me very well. To each their own, but this is not a low-quality ride. At its price point it was an excellent buy.

mtbr member
    Nashbar has some good deals on GT brands , its worth a look .
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.