1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Which diamondback do I buy for husband

I'm trying to buy my husband a mountain bike for his birthday next month. A few months ago, he said he wanted a hardtail Diamondback. I found three on Amazon. I have no idea what a 29er is. Or a V 29er is.
    If someone could kindly tell me which bike is best. I'd just ask him, but I want it to be a surprise!

Diamondback 29er, V 29er, or Response

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    Please just tell him that is what you are getting him for his birthday and let him be involved in picking it out. He needs to know it fits properly and is what he is wanting.

If you buy him a bike for a gift he is stuck with it if he wants it or not since it was a gift from his wife. Make a date of it travel around to bike shops together test ride and get his size you may find that a local bike shop has what you need.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Bikes come in different wheel sizes and a certain bike model will come in different frame sizes to suit people of different heights and body shapes.

Do you know what size frame would suit your husband?
    Do you know what wheel size your husband would want ?
    Has your husband test taken any of those bikes for a test ride and said that he'd prefer one model over the other ?

Get your hubby involved in this purchase and get him to test ride some bikes, if you get the wrong model it won't be ridden as much and if you get the wrong size frame won't be enjoyable to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I would love to have him test out bikes, but I believe the closest bike shop besides Walmart is five hours away. We live in a very remote location. I know his height and inseam. The website tells me which size bike goes with that.

Could anyone tell me the difference between the 29er and the V 29er?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lmado23 View Post
    Could anyone tell me the difference between the 29er and the V 29er?
    Without seeing the actual models you're talking about it's hard to say what the difference is.

V could be for a bike model that has V-Brakes, some bike models have v-brakes (rim brakes) and some bike models have disc brakes.

http://www.diamondback.com/mountain

mtbr member

Re: Which diamondback do I buy for husband

What's your price range

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The V is a 7 speed freewheel bike-- probably did not want this , the 29er is 8 speed freehub rear better for servicing. He probably wasn't talking about the full suspension Response.
    You need his height and inseam(actual) to estimate what size bike he needs.
    This Bike Direct model is 450 shipped and has better geo and better components.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

Fit has to do with a lot more than just inseam and height.

There are a couple online fit calculators you can use. Here's one that I used when purchasing a frame online once:
    https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login....%2fHeight.aspx
    There are a lot of metrics to take into account to determine fit.

The biggest one would be reach, which is a factor of torso length and arm length. Every seatpost can be adjusted, so it's easier to accommodate different inseam lengths than it is to accommodate a bad fit on reach.

I agree to just tell him what you're getting. Buy him a little toy mtb you can put in a box or put a picture of one inside a card or something goofy like that. Then take the time to get things dialed in before buying something random. It may very well be worth a 5 hour drive to the nearest shop if you guys haven't done this before.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I was just recently talking to a former bike shop owner about this situation. He said that it was not unusual to have a wife come in and want to surprise her husband with the gift of a bike. He said it was usually agreed upon that as long as he didn't take it out and ride it first, that if it was not the bike that he wanted or he needed a different size, he could bring it back and exchange it. That would let her surprise him with a bike, and she would generally be assured the guy would end up with the right bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    how tall is he?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    consider this bike. $379, I think it's higher end (disc brakes and slightly higher end drive train) . and it comes with costco warranty.
    Northrock XC6 bike 3x8, 18" and 19.5" $379 at costco
    Last edited by bob13bob; 04-27-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Which diamondback do I buy for husband

What's your budget? He might be happier with something like an airborne guardian? Just a thought. But listen to what eb wrote.