mtbr member

Detailing my bike

I got caught on the trail by a thunderstorm Sunday. Both my bike and myself were a muddy mess by the time I covered the 7 miles back to my truck. I rinsed it off pretty good when I got home and put it away. Yesterday I found that I still have mud and sand in places I never though it would be. From what I can tell the only solution is to pretty much get a toothbrush a pail of soapy water and a new bottle of dry lube and a bottle of Phils and go to work lubing and cleaning.
    Thoughts or suggestion?
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's a mountain bike isn't suppose to get dirty? Rinse it again and use a rag to get off more of the dirt.

mtbr member
    I have mud in the cable housings. I have mud in the brakes. Mud in the derailleurs, mud in the chainrings and cogs. I had mud caked on the entire surface of my bike. The back brakes are still kinda sketchy after cleaning the cable housings and cables. This isn't just a little dirty. It was ugly mean nasty 12" deep rut muddy.
    The bike doesn't make you go fast.
    You make the bike go fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member
    Degrease the drive-train (I do every ride almost), soap and water the wheels and frame, rinse and let it dry in the sun or if it must come inside dry it by a fan to prevent water from sitting on it anywhere. Washing a bike regularly won't hurt it if you occasionally inspect and re grease your bearings and freehub.
    GTA
    Ontario

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Ride it until the dirt falls off. Clean bikes are overrated.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just use a bucket of water and a rag.. Once in a blue moon I'll take the crank off and grease the bearings while I'm in there. If it's that bad, that there's mud in the cable housing, just clean it the best you can.. Spray some wd40 from the top and insert the cable and push the dirt out. Obvioulsy away from the pads. I don't spray water on the bike that's lazy and bad for the wheel bearings and whatnot. While the rubber covering the bearings prevents large dirt particles from getting in, it doesn't stop water and waters bad for grease. I can get everywhere with a thin rag and some time. After I'm done I'll go over it with some windex just to get the mud color off and then relube whatever needs it. Not a big deal and not something I do a lot. Generally I'll let it dry and use a large brush because I store the bike in my kitchen.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If it was a serious deluge you got caught in, after hosing off the bike, take the seatpost out of frame and turn bike upside down. You'll likely be freaked out by how much water comes pouring out of your frame.