1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

destroyed post mount thread on fox

the down bold on my fox's post mount (where the caliber is placed) cannot get tight. the thread where the bolt screws on is destroyed. can i solve it somehow? thanks

mtbr member
    helicoil

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When you install a helicoil you have to drill the hole much bigger to tap for the helicoil. There may not be enough meat there to do this.
    This is a hack and people will hate it but M6 thread (.1968) is very close to 1/4 inch (.2010). If it was me, I'd very carefully open up the hole with a #7 drill - can probably do this by hand as it will already be approx the correct size. Then tap it for SAE 1/4 inch coarse. You will need a bottoming tap for this. It will be just a few thousand larger, enough to get a good thread. You might have to open up the caliper hole slightly. If it doesn't work you can still put the helicoil in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You might want to try posting in Tooltime