1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Derailleur Hanger -What the heck

Hello out there. I am new to the mountain bike world and have recentlly dove in with both feet. My wife and I love out full suspension bikes; however, recently I made the mistake of trying to buy one for my dad who loves overkill. I bought him a GT -LT1000 Carbon fiber bike which ended up being rigged for downhill usage. It didn't have a rear derailer at the time and he told me to simply have one put on. I had one put on today but I proceeded to ride it off the curb and the piece of metal that keeps the derailer on broke. The bike is of course old and I'm not sure how to get this thing apparently called a Derailleur hanger off the bike and how to put another one on if I can even order one to fit. I can get the derailer off of it; however, where it attaches to the frame looks like some kind of pressure screw in which none of my screwdrivers will fit. Please advise what to do, I'm afraid to spend much more money on this bike!!!! Thanks,

tell me what you think,
    Joebody
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebody
    Hello out there. I am new to the mountain bike world and have recentlly dove in with both feet. My wife and I love out full suspension bikes; however, recently I made the mistake of trying to buy one for my dad who loves overkill. I bought him a GT -LT1000 Carbon fiber bike which ended up being rigged for downhill usage. It didn't have a rear derailer at the time and he told me to simply have one put on. I had one put on today but I proceeded to ride it off the curb and the piece of metal that keeps the derailer on broke. The bike is of course old and I'm not sure how to get this thing apparently called a Derailleur hanger off the bike and how to put another one on if I can even order one to fit. I can get the derailer off of it; however, where it attaches to the frame looks like some kind of pressure screw in which none of my screwdrivers will fit. Please advise what to do, I'm afraid to spend much more money on this bike!!!! Thanks,

tell me what you think,
    Joebody
    whoever put the deraillier on should be able to get you a new hanger, either they or you can install, usually all is held on with allen screws

ride hard take risks
    Agree with dan0 the place you got the first one should have another. It is probibly a allen bolt setup like the chainrings. Possibly remove the wheel & the allen head is on the inside of the frame. It shouldnt break going off a curb, there is something else wrong or the bracket was cracket when you got it back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

yup chainring bolt

That is just a chainring bolt. hex in front, and requires either a really wide/narrow blade screwdriver, or a special 3.99 dollar tool to tighten them down. Derailleur hangers can usually be found at a bike shop who sells that particular brand. A lot of brands use the same style, so essentially any bike shop could have that style.

There are also some sold on ebay, and a few places online that specialize in them.
    derailleurhanger.com comes to mind.

Beware, you might soil yourself when you see how much people charge for this tiny piece of alloy

http://www.derailleurhanger.com/gt.htm

BTW....buy an extra one....always nice to have a spare.