Thread: Derailleur ?

Work Hard, Play Harder

Derailleur ?

What's the difference between a long cage and a medium cage derailleur? Do you need a certain setup to run one or the other or is it a matter of preference. What are the benefits of either one? Just curious, because i saw 06 model sram X-0 derailleurs on sale on the net for 149.00 I think that'd be a nice upgrade from my X-9. I have seen these for sale at my LBS for about 250.00 so it seems to me like a steal. Any info you guys can give me is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    The difference is how much slack in the chain the derailleur can absorb. If you are running a 2X9 setup a medium cage will be fine. You can use a medium cage on a 3X9 setup, but if you shift into your small/small gears the derailleur won't be able to handle the slack and your chain may flop off. Some people use a medium because it will shift a little better than a long, and they just be careful not to shift into the small/small gears. Which those are cross chained gears you shouldn't use anyway.

Technically the Long cage SRAM has a capacity of 45, and the Medium 37.

Capacity is calculated like this:

Large Front - Small Front + Large Rear - Small Rear = Capacity
    44 - 22 + 34 - 11 = 45 (normal 3x9 setup)

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Nice explanation oldskool, and very much appreciated. I've never upgraded a derailleur before so I had no idea what the differences were. Thanks
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels