1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    ADOS
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    34

    Derailer Adjustment

    Im riding an 05 Iron Horse that has a Shimano Alivo system on it....I know its not a great derailer but Im savinf my money for a full set of XTR's. Anyway my gears are shifting really good but when Im in 2,7 or 2,8 I get a little chain clatter when I crank hard. It looks like my chain is rubbing on the derailer. Is this something I can adjust out with HI LO screws or do I have to change my tension all together?

  2. #2
    spec4life???..smh...
    Reputation: spec4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    Honestly if you have an bike with alivio stuff its probably not worth upgrading to xtr. Just save for a new bike if you want a better setup.

    Dont think you can fix this with the limiter screws.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Honestly if you have an bike with alivio stuff its probably not worth upgrading to xtr. Just save for a new bike if you want a better setup.

    Dont think you can fix this with the limiter screws.
    I personally don't necessarily agree with this. Many riders are not as hardcore as some here, and a simple upgrade like this will make their bike that much more enjoyable to ride they way many actually ride their bike.

    A new bike with good components costs well over $1,000. Upgraded shifter/derailleur is a small fraction of this price.

  4. #4
    I win.
    Reputation: Popper252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    708
    There's usually a little barrel adjuster knob on your shifter. It's where the cable comes out of the shifter.
    You'll need to adjust the knob on your front der. shifter. I'm not sure which direction to turn it but if you look at your front der. as you turn you should be able to see it move in or out a little.
    That's what you'll need to do to get it to stop hitting.

    Good luck man!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

  5. #5
    spec4life???..smh...
    Reputation: spec4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by madmagrider
    I personally don't necessarily agree with this. Many riders are not as hardcore as some here, and a simple upgrade like this will make their bike that much more enjoyable to ride they way many actually ride their bike.

    A new bike with good components costs well over $1,000. Upgraded shifter/derailleur is a small fraction of this price.

    First off have you looked at the cost of a xtr drivetrain. It just makes no sense to me to put a few hundred dollars into upgrading a 500 dollar bike that still is surrounded by other entry level componets.

    Aslo the componets on the bike now should preform adaquitly for the type of riding the bike was ment for. Just ride the bike and enjoy it if something breaks by a modest upgrade not the top of the line on an entry level bike.

  6. #6
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    if its rubbing on the outside (towards your foot) screw the barrel adjuster in 1/4 turn
    if its hitting on the inside unscrew the adjuster 1/4 turn (you have to pull out while turning)

    as far as upgrades I would go xt or the new 09 saint, far more durable and less $$ then xtr

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    97
    I agree with modest upgrades, but I guess I don't agree with simply buying a new bike just because it doesn't have top of the line components. There are some nice but cheap upgrades that are still worth it on a cheaper bike.

    Also, what would a new bike with XTR components cost?

  8. #8
    spec4life???..smh...
    Reputation: spec4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by madmagrider
    I agree with modest upgrades, but I guess I don't agree with simply buying a new bike just because it doesn't have top of the line components. There are some nice but cheap upgrades that are still worth it on a cheaper bike.

    Also, what would a new bike with XTR components cost?
    Sure there are upgrades worth it on an entry level bike. Mostly just contact points though. And you can have a blast on an entry level bike. I was simply saying if you arnt satisfied with the performance of the bike dont put top of the line componets on a bottom of the line bike, Save and buy a bike worthy of top end componets and have a blast on that entry level bike in the meantime.

    Sorry to get a little OT. but i think dano has your answer.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    483
    there should be a barrel adjuster on the shifter so you can make minor changes without getting out the allen wrench. try tweaking that. Im guessing you mean that its rubbing on the front derailleur, which means you should try the barrel adjuster on the left side shifter, you should be able to get rid of the rub (although sometimes it may still rub a little in the last gear)...I would suggest not messing with the limit screws, easier to mess up than to fix.

    just a suggestion...save up for full XT, youll have a new drivetrain in half the time with very little difference. Ive had XT drivetrains hold up to a beating, and the price is literally about half....the weight difference is enough to justify the price unless youre sponsored/racing/or rich.

  10. #10
    ADOS
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    34
    Thanx for the reply.....your probably right.....Ive tried to adjust it using the barrell adjustment and it cleans it a little so its what Im gonna deal with. Also Ive looked into the XT system and your right its half the price and the reviews are just as good on it so i might try that in stead

  11. #11
    ADOS
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    34

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Honestly if you have an bike with alivio stuff its probably not worth upgrading to xtr. Just save for a new bike if you want a better setup.

    Dont think you can fix this with the limiter screws.

    I GUESS IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND $3000 ON A BIKE THEN YES MY $1600 BIKE IS A CHEAP BIKE. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT HALF THE MONEY YOU SPEND ON A BIKE IS IN THE FRAME. SO I THINK THAT BY CHANGING MY DRIVETRAIN MY BIKE WILL BE FINE AND COMPARABLE. IVE ALREADY SWAPPED MY FRONT SUS TO A FOX VANILLA. I LIKE MY FRAME IT FITS MY STYLE.

  12. #12
    spec4life???..smh...
    Reputation: spec4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstraty
    I GUESS IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND $3000 ON A BIKE THEN YES MY $1600 BIKE IS A CHEAP BIKE. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT HALF THE MONEY YOU SPEND ON A BIKE IS IN THE FRAME. SO I THINK THAT BY CHANGING MY DRIVETRAIN MY BIKE WILL BE FINE AND COMPARABLE. IVE ALREADY SWAPPED MY FRONT SUS TO A FOX VANILLA. I LIKE MY FRAME IT FITS MY STYLE.

    1600 fora bike with an alivio drivetrain.. ..what is it..

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    555
    New bike with full xtr, youre looking at about 2500 to start, buy usually in the 3000+ range
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hanjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    107
    Everyone seems to be in love with Shimano!! How bout looking into a SRAM x0 or x9 setup, I always upgrade my bikes drivetrain to x9, since x0 has a few grams of weight savings and tends to wear out less but still costs almost twice the price. A full setup of shifter, front and rear der. can be purchased on ebay for for about 200.00 dollars and they work just as good as XTR.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by hanjin
    Everyone seems to be in love with Shimano!! How bout looking into a SRAM x0 or x9 setup, I always upgrade my bikes drivetrain to x9, since x0 has a few grams of weight savings and tends to wear out less but still costs almost twice the price. A full setup of shifter, front and rear der. can be purchased on ebay for for about 200.00 dollars and they work just as good as XTR.
    Eh, better I say.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

    "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    If you have problem in the middle chain ring, you can't solve it by adjusting the limit screws. Possibly, tightening the cable with the adjuster barrel may help. But normally 2-8 is not a desirable combination. Every chain ring is supposed to work with 4-5 appropriate rear cogs - means, 2nd chain ring should combine with 4-5 middle cogs in the rear. For higher gear you will need to switch to the large chain ring.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,877
    After 2 years the cable may have stretched some. If you can't adjust it all the way out with the barrel adjuster before running out of thread, you need to adjust the cable at the der. See if there is much slack in the cable when it's on the small ring. If so, leave it in 1 gear; run the barrel adjuster almost all the way in; loosen screw on der.; pull cable tight; tighten screw. Then you should be able to adjust it.

    I thought about upgrading my alivio front der., even though it's only 1 year old. After reading suggestions in the component forum, I upgraded my shifters instead (deore -> xt).

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: agabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    851
    If you have an alivio FD your front rings are prob nothing to write home about. You should also think about throwing so new mid range rings on your crank. Also +1 on XT gear changers, they rock.

    Anthony

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •