1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Are demo bikes worth buying?

Long story short, Only been riding for two months. I had a giant revel 0 29er. bought it the beginning of june new, Hated it. Sold it to a coworker and went back to the LBS to look at a 26er entry level around the same price, another coworker that rides told me the 26 bikes tend to me snappy unlike the revel aka semi. So that's what I was after, while there Friday the bike guru offered me a demo bike, So sure I jumped all over it. Its a 2012 giant trance x4 26er. Wasn't looking for a full suspension bike but sure I will ride it is what I am thinking. After riding it hard three days I am hooked. I talked to him tonight and asked him how much a new one would cost. Well heres my problem, they only have the one. The bike looks flawless with one paint chip in the top tube. But my thinking is everyone and their brother has ridden this thing hard and put it up wet. Do people normally buy demo bikes, I guess so but not sure. I know I wouldnt buy a car for a rental place, seems the same to me. The shop is asking 975 for it, blue book says 875 so I figured we could atleast chat about it if people really buy demos. Help needed, make a offer or walk?

mtbr member

Re: Are demo bikes worth buying?

Well buying a demo can matter on a lot of things. Like buying an ex rental car (which being I'm a certified mechanic I wouldn't have any issue as they maintain their cars very well) just depends on how well they will stand behind it. Price vs new, warranty, will be lbs go through it to make sure everything is perfect and stand behind it?

Look at this, an mtb is going to get the crap beat outta it regardless. If they will stand behind the bike and if its going to save u a lot over new (and they could order u a new one if you wanted it) then I'd go for it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Are demo bikes worth buying?

I personally wouldn't, the main reason is despite everything looking visually ok, you don't know what it's been jumped off of (and how much they weighed when they jumped it) so there could be hidden problems underneath the paint.

And the frame probably isn't covered by the factory warranty. If the shop will give you a receipt that shows it sold as if it was a new bike, then you may be covered.

Also ask if they'll do a fork service and brake bleed before you get it, and check the pads, rotors (measure thickness with calipers) and chain (with a chain checker) for wear. If the chain is at 80/90, you'll probably need a new cassette soon too.

Finally inspect the wheels for true and see if there were any obvious spokes replaced (if the spoke or the nipple or both is different). One replaced spoke is not a big deal but several signals a wheel rebuild in your future. Also look at the spokes by the cassette especially: if someone over shifted and dropped the chain between the cassette and the spokes, this can mar all the spokes at once, resulting in them slowly breaking over time and significantly reducing the life of the wheel.

Hope that helps.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Demo is not a bad deal...you even get full factory warranty too.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yea the LBS is great, he even put new tires and brake pads on it while I was there, said he would do a full tune on it befor I got it if I wanted. I didn't know about the warranty, makes since though, they never sold it so its just the same as old stock when they sell it I guess. So next, should I just pay asking or make a offer? I set aside 1200 for a new ride, If I could get it for 800 I would have enough left over for a dropper post which I really want after riding a coworkers stumpjumper.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Offer them $850. Blue Book current value is $872:

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Most demo bikes I know of are sold "as is" and DO NOT come with a warranty.

Best to ask specifically about this bike coming with a warranty and get it in writing if you are expecting to have one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well talked to LBS today when returning it, Asked him about price and he said he really couldn't come down. Asked if it came with a shock pump and no. Told him I was really interested if we could work something out. Asked about the warranty and he told me it had full warranty so no problem there, so lifetime as long as I own the bike.Told him if it had a pump I would be more intent buying cause I don't have much extra cash. So the guru said I could just swing by and use his when ever I need it. Ended up leaving with the bike and a giant hand pump for the price he was asking. Ended up getting a year of service for it also at that price. I am pleased, I would have bought it like it was anyhow after knowing its normal practice to buy a demo. Thanks for the input everyone.

mtbr member
    I think demo bikes are a good deal. If everything works and looks good then it's most likely good. If the drivetrain and the brakes work well then the most important components should be in good shape. Maybe ask the them to true the wheels. If you trust the LBS then go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Most all of my local dealers here sell the demo bikes just like they were new minus the price, they all include the normal factory warranty. none of the new bikes come with a shock pump either, I had to buy the pump for my Specialized Epic.