1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Degreaser

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Degreaser

Is there any other kind of degreaser that would work on a chain? I've got all sorts of automotive degreasers and lube and was wondering how well they'd work with taking White Lightning off my chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    pedro's bio degreaser that's all I use
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use simple green

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Regular bike degreasers work well for most chain lubes but I've found White Lightning to be somewhat resistant to them.
    The White Lightning Clean Streak degreaser work very well to remove White Lightning and judging from the way it smells it seems to be nothing more than automotive brake cleaner (in a pretty can with a higher price).
    Any auto parts store, Walmart, Canadian Tire, Pep Boys, etc should have brake cleaner.
    One warning: It doesn't seem to play well with the plastic in those clip on chain cleaners - mine became crazed on the inside after using it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, we have tons of parts cleaner for cars, so that will work to get rid of white lightning?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Minerals Spirits/Paint Thinner in a jar, drop the chain in & shake well. Let dry for a few hours.

-james
    [SIZE="1"]2000 Trek 6500 HT
    2008 Ibex Asta Comp X7 FS[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So is yimmy saying that all I need to do is drop my chain in paint thinner and shake it? would automotive brake cleaner work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've read a number of other people use the paint thinner method. Nice thing is that you can reuse the thinner a number of times - if it gets dirty pour it through a coffee filter.

The only brake cleaners I've used are aerosol cans, not sure if that's what you mean? In that case, the advantage of the spirits/thinner is that it really gets inside the chain, not just on the surface. And it evaporates given enough time, so you don't need to rinse the chain off as far as I know.

-james

Cyclist of Borg
    Go to Home Depot [or similar] and get TurpAtine not TurpENtine. The former is a petroleum distilate and the latter is a tree sap distilate. TurpAtine works awesome. drop in what ever and give it a swish and the chain is sparkling, after that some hot soapy water and then cold to rinse out the soap. I have found it to be the BEST [bar none] degreaser ever

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Alright, I'll be sure to use one of your paint thinner methods before my next race and from what yimmy said I can conclude that aerosol brake cleaner will work for a quick sub-par clean. Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Simple green works great and it is also biodegradable....though paint thinner burns pretty....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dawn dishwashing liquid.

mtbr member
    biodegradable degreasers are funny considering the grease that you wash off is still going down the drain.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "biodegradable degreasers are funny considering the grease that you wash off is still going down the drain......."

Are you serious?....wow...the implications....screw it....I am just going to start using paint thinner and dump that down the drain as well!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Chain Degreaser

Since I was 14, I have always used Diesel Fuel for a degreaser. Enough to cover the chain in a container and shaken. Let stand, and it can be reused. Cheap even at to days preices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Like I said above, and DHHogan mentions before me... diesel, gasoline, paint thinner, mineral spirits can all be re-used. Clean your chain or bearings in it a few times, then pour it through a coffee filter.

I do use simple green for anything that I want to spray on, scrub & rinse. But it's nowhere near as effective if you just want to shake & dry.

-james